Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
In Limbo
Lens: FA 43 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Sweltering SE Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-29-2017, 10:25 AM

Neither in nor out.

Jer

Views: 903
07-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Jer,

To begin with I quite like the photograph. It's a simple composition of an everyday subject which is usually not chosen as a subject. I think the photo is enhanced by being in black and white. I also like the bokeh and the sharp subject. The way you have done this...makes the door 'pop'.

I think there's a lot to be said for simplicity particularly in B&W, in this day of 'wow-bam' computer generated photographs and photography.

Some of my favourite photographers are the 'old' guys...guys like Alfred Eisenstadt and Cartier-Bresson etc. A lot of their work was B+W. They also used a 35mm Leica with a 35mm or 50mm lens, much of the time. Their time of course was back in the 1930's to 1960's +.

I note that you have recently bought a Pentax 43mm F 1.9....a fast, top quality 'normal', in focal length lens. Coupled with your K-1 I think this makes a very useful daily, walk around combination. I wonder if Eisenstadt was still with us and active as a photographer...if this would be a combination he would like. I think it would be, although being a Leica man, I'm sure he would have something like an M-9 and a 35 or 50mm F 2.

When I was looking at your photo today, it put me in mind of these old masters. Their forte was simple compositions of everyday life, in B&W. Something I find myself doing more of, in recent years. I can't approach their skill and quality, but in my own way I can give it a shot.

I have the 28-105 with my K-1, a very good versatile lens....but I have thought about also getting a Pentax 31mm F 1.8 as a nice fast, daily, moderate wide angle. I may do this eventually.
07-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good detail on something we never take the time to look at..........well captured.
07-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is truly a great photo. A good caption would be from Joni Mitchell, "I've looked at life from both sides now."

Thanks for sharing, very well done.

TT

Last edited by Tonytee; 07-29-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: g
07-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good one Jer. You really should shut it though if the temps are really sweltering (as I know they are.)
07-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Hi Jer,

To begin with I quite like the photograph. It's a simple composition of an everyday subject which is usually not chosen as a subject. I think the photo is enhanced by being in black and white. I also like the bokeh and the sharp subject. The way you have done this...makes the door 'pop'.

I think there's a lot to be said for simplicity particularly in B&W, in this day of 'wow-bam' computer generated photographs and photography.

Some of my favourite photographers are the 'old' guys...guys like Alfred Eisenstadt and Cartier-Bresson etc. A lot of their work was B+W. They also used a 35mm Leica with a 35mm or 50mm lens, much of the time. Their time of course was back in the 1930's to 1960's +.

I note that you have recently bought a Pentax 43mm F 1.9....a fast, top quality 'normal', in focal length lens. Coupled with your K-1 I think this makes a very useful daily, walk around combination. I wonder if Eisenstadt was still with us and active as a photographer...if this would be a combination he would like. I think it would be, although being a Leica man, I'm sure he would have something like an M-9 and a 35 or 50mm F 2.

When I was looking at your photo today, it put me in mind of these old masters. Their forte was simple compositions of everyday life, in B&W. Something I find myself doing more of, in recent years. I can't approach their skill and quality, but in my own way I can give it a shot.

I have the 28-105 with my K-1, a very good versatile lens....but I have thought about also getting a Pentax 31mm F 1.8 as a nice fast, daily, moderate wide angle. I may do this eventually.
Les, thanks much for the kind words and thoughtful comments. I've always done a lot of B&W photography going way back to my film days, and I like to apply B&W to photos of simple, everyday things - maybe because when I started photography decades ago I read so much about the "old masters" you mention.

I bought my DFA 28-105 with my K-1, and I have to say it's probably my favorite lens of all time (with the exception of my FA 31). It delivers crisp, rich images with a slick, quiet precision I really appreciate. It can also focus rather closely, and the lens is not the size of a bazooka. The range is ideal for 90% of the photos I take, and - with the high-ISO capability of the K-1 - the lens' modest speed is not the drawback it would have been when we were shooting Kodachrome 64 and Tri-X.

I'd like to list a bunch of technical reasons I bought the 43, but in truth, it was an emotive purchase not a practical one. I've wanted a 43 since the lens was introduced in the film days, and since I already owned a 31 and 77, I felt compelled () to complete the set. Still, I can use the speed of the 43 occasionally, and - as you suggest - it does make a very manageable package with the K-1 for "walk around" purposes.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Good detail on something we never take the time to look at..........well captured.
Thanks, EM!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
This is truly a great photo. A good caption would be from Joni Mitchell, "I've looked at life from both sides now."

Thanks for sharing, very well done.

TT
Thank you, Tony. I appreciate your comments.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Good one Jer. You really should shut it though if the temps are really sweltering (as I know they are.)
Thanks, Susan. Believe me, I shut the door quickly after I shot the pic. It's been brutal down here, but it always is this time of year.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 07-31-2017 at 08:28 AM.