Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Milky Way in remote WA
Lens: Sigma 18-125 DC HSM Camera: K-70 ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: ranmar850, 07-31-2017, 02:00 AM

I've been camping more or less of the grid for the last month, out on the coast south of Exmouth, WA, on Ningaloo station. The MIlky Way is always good here in winter. Taken from thee beach looking out over our camp.

Views: 771
08-01-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive detail! How'd you light up the foreground?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. I had a cheap LED headlight which also switches to red for night vision. During the 20 seconds of exposure I simply panned across the foreground with it. On my first attempt, I panned both ways, but it was very over-exposed, so one pass was enough. It was my first attempt at "light painting" --I was inspired by a shot my niece took of a lighthouse, her friends pointed their headlamps at the structure and she composed for the Milky Way in the background, very impressive result.
I'm very new to star shots, have only been trying them this year. My lens, a Sigma 18-125mm DC HSM, is very versatile, and generally gives a good result, but MW shots show the limitations. You really need a 12-14mm prime. I'm sure I have an old 14mm Pentax around, just can't lay my hands on it.
08-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ranmar850 Quote
I've been camping more or less of the grid for the last month, out on the coast south of Exmouth, WA, on Ningaloo station. The MIlky Way is always good here in winter. Taken from thee beach looking out over our camp.
This is a wow!

08-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ranmar850 Quote
great shot! I really like that you got come foreground in there to bring the scale into perspective! well done
08-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #6

Well done! Love Milky Way pics!
08-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
That red light you panned for the foreground. Perfect color balance trick for the overall photo. Love it!

08-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. This was from our annual last year--I have just posted this years effort in this thread