Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Bee with Complimentary Colors
Lens: SMC Pentax-FA 100mm f:2.8 macro Camera: K-50 ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Dewman, 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM

This was taken in the back yard of one of my neighbors. She is quite an accomplished horticulturist and is always kind enough to let me prowl around with my camera. This lens is without a doubt the best macro lens I've ever had the privilege of using. As they say, the proof is in the pudding. There was actually very little PP involved other than cropping.

Last edited by Dewman; 01-10-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Views: 700
08-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

Great capture. I'm considering purchasing the 100mm macro lens that you used. This picture may have sealed the deal. How far away from the subject were you standing?
08-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chunkiness Quote
Great capture. I'm considering purchasing the 100mm macro lens that you used. This picture may have sealed the deal. How far away from the subject were you standing?

I can highly recommend this lens! I think it's as sharp as my FA 50mm or darn close to it! If I remember, I was about 12-14" from the bee. Here's the original image without any cropping or PP work.... so you can see how the sharpness held up even with quite a bit of enlargement.

I like the ability to shoot a little farther from my subject due to a bad back, hips and knees! If you get a chance to pick up one of these remarkable lenses, do so and you'll never look back! I wouldn't trade mine for all the tea in China!

Last edited by Dewman; 01-10-2018 at 08:36 PM.
08-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot. Bachellor's Button flowers are extraordinary for that contrast of rich colors.

And the FA100mm f2.8 is what I use - though with the flash now. I really like the shadow on this, which would be lost with a flash.

Now start looking for the tiny bees like the 5mm long Lasioglossum and Hyleaus, join me down the path of madness and frustration!

08-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Great shot. Bachellor's Button flowers are extraordinary for that contrast of rich colors.

And the FA100mm f2.8 is what I use - though with the flash now. I really like the shadow on this, which would be lost with a flash.

Now start looking for the tiny bees like the 5mm long Lasioglossum and Hyleaus, join me down the path of madness and frustration!

Thanks for the compliment. So far, I've not succumbed to using a flash for any of my photographs, much preferring the nuances of light and shadow that natural light provides.

I'd love to join you in the hunt for those tiny critters, but I'm doing good to get down close enough for the honey bee! Unless I can capture one of the little 5mm bugs alive and put it on my dining table with an artificial setting, I don't think it will happen! However, I'd love to see some your images of them!
08-01-2017, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I'd love to join you in the hunt for those tiny critters, but I'm doing good to get down close enough for the honey bee! Unless I can capture one of the little 5mm bugs alive and put it on my dining table with an artificial setting, I don't think it will happen! However, I'd love to see some your images of them!
The best place is my Flickr feed. I started using an inexpensive manual ring flash last year, and it's been a big help. It makes the rig pretty heavy and bulky, but it's worth the effort.
[IMG][/IMG]
08-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The best place is my Flickr feed. I started using an inexpensive manual ring flash last year, and it's been a big help. It makes the rig pretty heavy and bulky, but it's worth the effort.
[/url][/IMG]

WOW! I'm impressed! The FA 100mm lens leaves little to be desired! I'm not sure if there's a sharper lens available. I'm one of those people who places a very high value on sharpness, which will often lead to a dissertation on it's importance. But, I continue to stick to my guns on the subject, regardless of Bresson's opinion.

08-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For macro, sharpness, depth of field and ergonomics are supreme. I've been doing this a few years now, and getting better each year. I rank the K3 series and the Pentax 100mm macro lenses as the best available for the job. I'd love to see the new motors in the 100mm, maybe they'd be faster than the increased-torque screw motors but maybe not.

If Bresson is out in the field chasing insects I'll listen to his opinions about the subject. If he's in the studio taking photos of pretty people his requirements are different than mine. When he gets perfect shots of 1.5mm chalcid wasps outdoors with some degree of reliability I'll be impressed. The only ones I've succeeded with have been accidental.
09-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I can highly recommend this lens! I think it's as sharp as my FA 50mm or darn close to it! If I remember, I was about 12-14" from the bee. Here's the original image without any cropping or PP work.... so you can see how the sharpness held up even with quite a bit of enlargement.

I like the ability to shoot a little farther from my subject due to a bad back, hips and knees! If you get a chance to pick up one of these remarkable lenses, do so and you'll never look back! I wouldn't trade mine for all the tea in China!
Nice capture!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2017, 03:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Very nice indeed!