Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Something interesting
Lens: Tamron 70-300mm Camera: K-3 
Posted By: kyricom, 08-02-2017, 06:38 AM

I snapped a couple of shots of a small spider on the window sill just for the fun of it (although it probably wasn't too fun for the fly). When I looked at them, I noticed something very interesting. I moved for a different angle in the second shot, so the spider is actually behind the fly. Think of how small a common house fly's leg is, and then how TINY that insect on it actually is.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 651
08-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are two different animals in # 2 and # 3 the big one - spider behind and the other red one on the leg

what is the red one??
08-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little mite. Everything has parasites - internal and external. Some don't do much damage, others are devastating in numbers. It might be worth uploading to Bug Guide, maybe they can put it in the right group.
08-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
what is the red one??
Thanks for the comments.

Aslyfox, this is a Deer Mite. Very tiny, but I still don't think I want them crawling on me.

Attached Images

08-03-2017, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
. . . Aslyfox, this is a Deer Mite. Very tiny, but I still don't think I want them crawling on me.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
A little mite. Everything has parasites - internal and external. Some don't do much damage, others are devastating in numbers. It might be worth uploading to Bug Guide, maybe they can put it in the right group.
yes, everything and every one

most are harmless or tolerated well, but those which are not can be real doozies

most people are happily unaware of the microscopic or near microscopic parasites we share the world with.

I note the number of legs - 8

is it classified as a spider then?

wiki which I use as a starting point only for any research if I consult it at all says:

" Mites are small arthropods belonging to the subclass Acari (also known as Acarina) and the class Arachnida. The scientific discipline devoted to the study of ticks and mites is called acarology.
Many species live in soil as decomposers; others are predatory or parasitic, these last including the commercially important Varroa mites of honeybees, and the scabies mite of humans.. . . Mites are among the most diverse and successful of all the invertebrate groups. They have exploited a wide array of habitats, and because of their small size (most are micro-animals), go largely unnoticed. Some live freely in the soil or water, but many others live as parasites on plants, animals, and some that feed on mold. Some 48,200 species of mites have been described. . . . "

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-03-2017 at 04:28 AM.