Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Madingley American Cemetery and Memorial
Lens: Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Madingley, Cambridgeshire 
Posted By: Top banana, 08-04-2017, 10:03 AM

Around 30 minutes from where I live is the Madingley American Cemetery and Memorial. This was inaugurated in 1956 and contains the headstones of 3,809 servicemen who died during WW2, mainly airman of the USAAF and sailors from the North Atlantic convoys. There is also the memorial wall which contains the names of 5,127 servicemen who were missing...

I often go there to just sit and reflect on the enormous sacrifice paid by ordinary people to give us a free Europe. I think that the words from the the Pink Floyd song 'the gunners dream' are very apt when looking at all the names of the fallen..

"Floating down through the clouds
Memories come rushing up to meet me now.
In the space between the heavens
and in the corner of some foreign field
I had a dream"

Views: 813
08-04-2017, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful Shots.

Its nice to hear that the sacrifice offered by our servicemen is appreciated over there on the other side of the pond.

QuoteOriginally posted by Top banana Quote
I often go there to just sit and reflect on the enormous sacrifice paid by ordinary people to give us a free Europe. I think that the words from the the Pink Floyd song 'the gunners dream' are very apt when looking at all the names of the fallen..
This statement hits me right in the heart. It often feels that people don't understand what the price of freedom is.

Thank You.
08-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
Beautiful Shots.

Its nice to hear that the sacrifice offered by our servicemen is appreciated over there on the other side of the pond.

This statement hits me right in the heart. It often feels that people don't understand what the price of freedom is.

Thank You.
Living where we do in East Anglia we are surrounded by so many reminders of the American effort in WW2 with the remains of many of the bomber bases still visible (just 8 miles from my house is whats left of Little Walden airfield which was a B17 base, the control tower and runways/perimiter tracks are still there).

Certainly in this region we understand the price paid in American lives, and will never forget...

Regards - Tb
08-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your pics are well done, thanks for sharing. My favorite is #1, the way it curves as if bringing everyone together,