Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
flash failure = decent portrait, +3 others
Posted By: khardur, 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM

So I made a homemade background stand the other day, and a few backgrounds. I was setting stuff up to do some tests, and really just messing around when my son wandered in and wanted to have his picture taken. So I happily obliged.

The optical slave didn't fire this time, but I really liked it:

He is a boy with many faces:

Oh and an outtake while he was telling jokes before I even had the flashes turned on. No time here, just had to snap and hope I got a good shot.

background stand cost me around $18, solidly constructed of 3/4" PVC pipe.
If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post some diagrams and a better pic of the stand itself.

On an equipment related note: I can see that 1/160th sec isn't actually slow enough to light the frame entirely. This could be a result of using the el-cheapo Cactus V2S radio slave, along with two optical slaves for a flash combination, I'm not sure. I'll have to really give the rig a workout later this week and see what is the culprit.

Last edited by khardur; 08-19-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: I can't add!
Views: 2,526
08-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Third one is quite funny
08-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yah, don't ask me what that cardboard thing is around his arm - it was originally just a triangle, then it was the roof for his (imaginary) pet dog's house - then in its current incarnation is some sort of arm band... All the toys he's got and he stills plays with cardboard boxes.

We made a "pretend" air conditioner out of a box one time. I think it gave him an entire week or two of fun before it got destroyed. I think for Christmas this year we'll just find him a big box from something like a refrigerator or a TV. LOL.
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dan, creative series here.

The first shot works well with that lighting. Funny when things do not go as planned, unexpected could work too.

Your son is like a comedian here. Interesting expression and the lighting works well to compliment his role in the shots. He seems far more mature with the toys in these shots. Great shots.

08-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #5

i love the outtake
08-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Damn Brit

The out take is definitely the winner.
08-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like the first shot. But they are all fun to view. Each and every one a keeper for sure. These are going to be very valuable photos one day. Good work!

08-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I love the take out. It is true spontaneous and fun! I think it really shows his personality
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks everyone for the comments. the outtake is definitely my favorite too.
(and he's like that all day long)

-Dan