Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Abandoned log house
Lens: DA 70/2.4 lim Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Russia, Lipovka ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: Chetverovod, 08-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Star on the left was red, but was whitened by the sun. This is the sign of that in this house living veteran of WWII or a family of a soldier dead on the war. I suppose that the house was built in 20's of 20 century.

Abandoned log house
Views: 971
08-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this pictures that have an ancient flavor, who knows how many stories they could tell us the owners, good job
08-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it a lot!
08-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one! Colors, textures, patterns, exposure and composition.

08-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very poignant subject, well rendered.
08-14-2017, 02:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ranmar850 Quote

---------- Post added 08-14-17 at 12:57 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
I like this pictures that have an ancient flavor, who knows how many stories they could tell us the owners, good job
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
I like it a lot!
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Nice one! Colors, textures, patterns, exposure and composition.
QuoteOriginally posted by ranmar850 Quote
Thank you a lot for commrnts!
08-01-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Star on the left was red, but was whitened by the sun. This is the sign of that in this house living veteran of WWII or a family of a soldier dead on the war. I suppose that the house was built in 20's of 20 century.

Abandoned log house
Wow; where is this?
08-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Wow; where is this?
Hello, on Google maps it is here: 55.038707, 46.013035

08-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using that method of construction, that house should have lasted a couple hundred years. It's sad to see it in such poor shape. I used to know of a few log builders who would take that apart piece by piece with a forklift, (after carefully marking the position of each log) and reconstruct it on a modern foundation, and then seal it up with good coat of stain.
08-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Using that method of construction, that house should have lasted a couple hundred years. It's sad to see it in such poor shape. I used to know of a few log builders who would take that apart piece by piece with a forklift, (after carefully marking the position of each log) and reconstruct it on a modern foundation, and then seal it up with good coat of stain.
Hi, normhead. A rain water is the main reason of logwood house damage. If roof of this house were in good then the house would be ok. In Russia threre are brigades of carpenters who can disassemble and assemble log house on a new place. Unfortunetly, tthe number of abandoned log houses much more then buyers.
08-01-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Hi, normhead. A rain water is the main reason of logwood house damage. If roof of this house were in good then the house would be ok. In Russia threre are brigades of carpenters who can disassemble and assemble log house on a new place. Unfortunetly, tthe number of abandoned log houses much more then buyers.
People who have never lived in a log house, just don't understand what a luxury it is. I've heard modern frame construction called "stick houses" by those in the know.
08-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is my kind of subject. I love the decay, the textures, the way nature is taking over. I like it. We don't get to see this kind of sight here...

I personally would have processed it in black and white, darkening down the greens to reduce the distraction of the vegetation on the right. I find monochrome really works well with these kinds of textures.

I also feel the sky is a little too blown out for my taste. It wouldn't matter so much in black and white, but perhaps toning down the highlights a little would help bring back some detail and interest.
08-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
This is my kind of subject. I love the decay, the textures, the way nature is taking over. I like it. We don't get to see this kind of sight here...

I personally would have processed it in black and white, darkening down the greens to reduce the distraction of the vegetation on the right. I find monochrome really works well with these kinds of textures.

I also feel the sky is a little too blown out for my taste. It wouldn't matter so much in black and white, but perhaps toning down the highlights a little would help bring back some detail and interest.
Thank you, I think it would be great , if you make your b/w version (of course if it is possible).

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 10:10 PM ----------

People who have never lived in a log house, just don't understand what a luxury it is. I've heard modern frame construction called "stick houses" by those in the know.
I am agree A working week I live in concrete house. Weekend I am spending in log house. Definitely I sleep better in a log house, also hot summer in log house is not so hot.
08-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People who have never lived in a log house, just don't understand what a luxury it is
I feel 'blessed' to live full-time in our Log Home. I hope I never have to abandon it.
During the years we lived in the city, I felt "out of place".
I love the "Cabin in the Woods" life style. Now I feel I am Home

I have posted a few pictures of our Log Home in this PF Album if you are interested in looking:
Moe49's Album: the Homestead - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Moe49; 08-03-2018 at 04:19 PM.
08-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you, I think it would be great , if you make your b/w version (of course if it is possible).
Of course. Here I have spent about 10 minutes - with more time it would be better.

There is nothing to be done with the sky as any detail is lost to overexposure - I don't like a block of white, so I have used some grunge to add some interest, but the better solution is to underexpose enough to keep detail in the sky, then to bring up shadows in post. Other than that just some minor adjustment to shadows and highlights, add some contrast, a light coffee tint, and reduced brightness and structure in the foliage to draw attention to the subject.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo