Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Palthis Angulalis (dark-spotted Palthis moth) ?
Lens: SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm / w 1,2,3 ext.tubes Camera: K7 Photo Location: on the back of my 88' Ramcharger ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: c.perkins, 08-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Took the dog for a walk in the yard and happened to spot this leaf on the back of my truck
Figured I would give it a go for the first time with macro on a live subject that usually never moves for hours at a time.

Dug out my Pentax 1,2,3 extension tube set and the SMC M-f2 / 50mm lens and tripod.
Have only messed around in the office with this setup to get an idea of how close I need to be, or should say, how close I have to be to focus with the different length tubes.

The picture is with all three sections installed with the lens and that puts me about 1.5 to 2.5 inches from the subject.
Shot wide open at f2 with 2 second shutter delay mounted on tripod at ISO 100 with 1/8s shutter speed.

Just a side note; the exif shows 70mm.(of course it is actually 50mm)
Forgot to change it from the last manual lens mounted on the K7 but since using the 2 second shutter delay on tripod the camera automatically cancels SR.

I put a question mark after the thread title cause I am no moth expert but is what I found during a quick search on Google

cp

Last edited by c.perkins; 12-07-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Views: 752
08-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool shot. It looks as though the wings are made of canvas. Nice that we can see the texture.
08-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great job on the focus @f/2, it's not easy lining up something this tiny. As you say, they do tend to cooperate during the day.

ID looks correct, bugguide has a nice comparison with the other likely candidate - Species Palthis angulalis - Dark-spotted Palthis - Hodges#8397 - BugGuide.Net. Yours is a male from the palps (the extendy bits in front of the face).
08-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have to admit that it was kind of a pain to capture that image.
Good thing my subject did not mind the time it took to take that shot

I will have to experiment more with my cheap macro set up.
It was a challenge and fun to do.

cp