Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A New One on Me
Camera: Panasonic LX100 Photo Location: Lime Rock, CT 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-13-2017, 01:39 PM

When attending a British car gathering in Connecticut in June, I photographed this Jensen. Jensens are pretty rare on the ground, so you don't see one every day. I've no idea what this one is - looks like a "GT" adaptation of a two-seater. Anybody know the scoop on this car?

Jer

Views: 490
08-13-2017, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Anybody know the scoop on this car?
Here you go.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ua...sz0HvaiI9qFvFg
08-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting vehicle. I viewed your MGB post and almost asked if you knew what the other vehicle in the shot was. Then I came to this one and saw the Healey badge on the bonnet - but Kerrowdown had done the groundwork already. It is certainly an uncommon model..
08-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like the designers couldn't make up their minds whether they wanted a Sports Car or Station Wagon so combined the two.

Last edited by eaglem; 08-13-2017 at 07:16 PM.
08-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've never seen one of these Jensen Shooting Brakes either Jer. But the design looks very similar to the early '70's Volvo 1800ES, which I think came out in around 1972.

The Volvo P1800 an earlier version of the sports 1800 cars, which you will recall was the 2 door coupe sportscar driven by the Saint, in the old Roger Moore TV series. The early production of the Volvo P1800 coupe body, was made by Jensen in the UK. After a couple of years , Volvo took over production in Sweden.

The Jensen you took a picture of looks similar...to me anyways ...to the later 1800 Volvo sports car, the Volvo 1800 ES station wagon...hatchback...shooting brake...whatever label is most applicable. I'm never sure.

The Volvo 1800 ES ES of course was made in Sweden, not at Jensen as the early P1800 coupe's were made.

I wonder if there is any connection in the similar appearance of the 1800ES and the Jensen, or is it just one of those many coincidences in our old world ?

BTW, a lovely picture of this uncommon car. You're a photographer of 'rarity' .....and that lately includes everything from fine automobilia as per the Jensen...to braving the lair of the Centaur...and publishing what must be one of the first ever photos of this beast, previously thought to be just a creature of myth.

I am more familiar with the 1970's Jensen Interceptor. There were a couple in my area years ago and with their Chrysler big block B series V8 (383 and 440 cubes) they were quite the performer. I saw one a couple of years ago, on a flatbed trailer, somewhat worse for wear ...asking price was about 5 grand CAD. It looked like a restoration challenge. Don't know if a buyer was found, but I would imagine body parts might be a bit scarce, although that's just idle speculation on my part.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 08-13-2017 at 06:10 PM.
08-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always liked the 1800es and the P1800 generally.

I think the Jensen looks like the 1800es not because of the designer, but more that at the time this car was made, automakers had begun using frameless rear Windows in general. Remember the AMC pacer. The Jensen, the 1800es and the pacer all share one common thread. A lot of glass,

Aside from this, there is not really anything similar in the lines of the cars, at least when I go back and look at the photos of the 1800es and clearly the pacer was completely different
08-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
It is certainly an uncommon model
Aye... only 511 were made.
08-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Sports Car or Station Wagon so combined the two
That's exactly what they were trying to do, Wikipedia says "It was introduced by Jensen Motors in 1975 as the shooting-brake version of the Jensen-Healey".

08-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Thanks for the info.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
An interesting vehicle. I viewed your MGB post and almost asked if you knew what the other vehicle in the shot was. Then I came to this one and saw the Healey badge on the bonnet - but Kerrowdown had done the groundwork already. It is certainly an uncommon model..
First one I've ever seen, for sure.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Looks like the designers couldn't make up their minds whether they wanted a Sports Car or Station Wagon so combined the two.
That apparently was the plan, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I always liked the 1800es and the P1800 generally.

I think the Jensen looks like the 1800es not because of the designer, but more that at the time this car was made, automakers had begun using frameless rear Windows in general. Remember the AMC pacer. The Jensen, the 1800es and the pacer all share one common thread. A lot of glass,

Aside from this, there is not really anything similar in the lines of the cars, at least when I go back and look at the photos of the 1800es and clearly the pacer was completely different
I liked those Volvos, too, Lowell. To my eyes, the transition from sports car to sports wagon is visually less successful with the Jensen, but - hey - that's just my subjective opinion.

Jer

---------- Post added 08-14-2017 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've never seen one of these Jensen Shooting Brakes either Jer. But the design looks very similar to the early '70's Volvo 1800ES, which I think came out in around 1972.

The Volvo P1800 an earlier version of the sports 1800 cars, which you will recall was the 2 door coupe sportscar driven by the Saint, in the old Roger Moore TV series. The early production of the Volvo P1800 coupe body, was made by Jensen in the UK. After a couple of years , Volvo took over production in Sweden.

The Jensen you took a picture of looks similar...to me anyways ...to the later 1800 Volvo sports car, the Volvo 1800 ES station wagon...hatchback...shooting brake...whatever label is most applicable. I'm never sure.

The Volvo 1800 ES ES of course was made in Sweden, not at Jensen as the early P1800 coupe's were made.

I wonder if there is any connection in the similar appearance of the 1800ES and the Jensen, or is it just one of those many coincidences in our old world ?

BTW, a lovely picture of this uncommon car. You're a photographer of 'rarity' .....and that lately includes everything from fine automobilia as per the Jensen...to braving the lair of the Centaur...and publishing what must be one of the first ever photos of this beast, previously thought to be just a creature of myth.

I am more familiar with the 1970's Jensen Interceptor. There were a couple in my area years ago and with their Chrysler big block B series V8 (383 and 440 cubes) they were quite the performer. I saw one a couple of years ago, on a flatbed trailer, somewhat worse for wear ...asking price was about 5 grand CAD. It looked like a restoration challenge. Don't know if a buyer was found, but I would imagine body parts might be a bit scarce, although that's just idle speculation on my part.

Les
As always, Les, thanks for the very kind words and thoughtful comments on the 1800 and the Jensen. Also, I learned a new term - Shooting Brake is another new one on me.

Here's a shot of an Interceptor I took at a Mecum auction back in the spring of 2014.

Jer

08-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it a lot Jer!
08-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
I like it a lot Jer!