Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Field Owl Redux
Posted By: paulsoucy, 08-20-2008, 03:39 AM

My goal is to get one of these into the PPG, all so far have been rejected....

I carefully compose each one of these shots... and they are hard work to pull off due to the finicky nature of these owls, even with my 18-250 zoom I have to be about at least 6 or 7 feet away from them because I don't want to have to crop...

but anyways.. I digress

presenting field owl redux.... please offer any comments or criticisms...

I'm game!!

The general adjustments are the usual ( vibrance, blacks, sharpness to reclaim a little what the 18-250 gives up... )

How do you compose a whole bunch of them at once? This is my best guess!!

I like the white line that is formed at the axis of the owls eyes.. did not plan it that way just happened.... some will probably note this is a distraction though and I can see their point...

I love the angle, the owls eyes.....

Cropped from the lower left owl in the shot above..

This one popped its neck up and I knew I had something unique... snap!snap!

Probably my cleanest shot, taking the background into consideration I love how digital cameras allow us to get up close and see things we would probably never actually see normally

Views: 3,370
08-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, they are all wonderful shots! Surprising image quality from this zoom and the owls do have that classic look to them all.

Eyes are just beautiful.
08-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

None of these was accepted??? Geez. I'd kill to get shots like these.

Now, I'll play the tough critic...
In the first shot, the buildings in the background are a bit distracting. In the second a bit tighter crop on the top to remove the light band there might help. In the third the light band is distracting in a way but I kind of like it myself. The fourth is very nice but I'd consider cropping a bit more of the sign out from the bottom. The fifth is cool with the two owls in opposite corners in the same pose, a bit more frame to the right would help along with a bit of bottom crop. The sixth being a crop of the 5th is very nice I think, no suggestions there. The 7th is a great pose but there are power lines faintly showing in the background which are distracting. The 8th shot is great, I'd crop a bit more from the left is all.

The above critiques are just me trying to guess what might have kept these from making the gallery. Don't take them to heart, I'm certainly no pro!
Frankly, as I said earlier these are all excellent and I'd be doing a happy dance if I took any one of them.

Great stuff!
08-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the compliments, I actually have not submitted these yet I was referring to my the shots on my previous thread by the same name...

I'm not sure I'm allowed to crop these much more as the ratio or format needs to be kept per the rules...

who really knows...

Paul

08-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Wow, very very nice shot for the first one,
08-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All are very good, no.... excellent shots. I was thinking along the same lines as Scott for some very minor adjustments. You should be able to do that and keep the same ratios (4x6) of the originals. My favourites are the last 2 but each offers a nice variation. Practice is getting you there!
08-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I especially like #'s 4, 6, & 8. One of these could be a replacement for Harry Potter's owl (lost in the last book).
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #8

wow so many owls in #2 i don't think i've ever seen that many owl in one shot before. great photos.

08-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great Shots!

How did you ever get that close? Ive never seen owls come out in the open like that except in captivity. Every time I see one he is way up in a tree that is full of leaves and other distracting flora.

This is the best owl shot I have ever been able to get and I was at least 20 feet away with a 100mm-300mm zoom lens.