Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Lens: Sigma 28-80mm Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Caldwell, Idaho ISO: 1600 
Posted By: Dewman, 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM

Late last fall, a heard the unmistakable sound of a multi-radial engine airplane outside. I ran out and recognized it as a Boeing B-17, so I grabbed my camera and followed it to an airport about 15 miles away.

What a magnificent bird! It had been restored to absolute perfection! To say I was impressed would be a gross understatement, but I think what left me with a lasting impression was the ball turret on the belly.... and especially the diagram of how the gunner was crammed into such a limited space. If they were forced to make a belly landing, he was as good as dead because there was no way to egress into the main cabin of the plane. What an incredible feeling to stand there and try to imagine what kind of courage it took to undertake that job.

Last edited by Dewman; 01-10-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Views: 1,390
08-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting stuff- thanks for sharing! Looks like they did an amazing job. I really like the composition in the first two, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots. You have to feel for the guys who were belly gunners though. The job normally went to the smallest member of the aircrew. I am well under 6 foot, so it gives one something to think about. Still, I believe they could enter the turret from the body of the aircraft and that is where they left their parachute.
08-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great shots. You have to feel for the guys who were belly gunners though. The job normally went to the smallest member of the aircrew. I am well under 6 foot, so it gives one something to think about. Still, I believe they could enter the turret from the body of the aircraft and that is where they left their parachute.

I stand corrected, they could indeed enter the ball from the fuselage with some maneuvering of the ball. It must have been one heck of a ride!

08-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Yes not a very ergonomic position... had to be brutal on the upper back, shoulders, and neck.

I saw a story on youtube recently of an old WW2 veteran who was belly gunner on a B-17, said once they were in a hurry and forgot to latch the door or something and the only reason they didn't fall thousands of feet was they had a good hold of the gun. Yikes.

I've been to see a B-17 when it was being restored in the 90s and it is amazing how thin the sheet metal is.. very thin. If you missed your footing I could easily see you stepping through the floor. Bullets could easily pierce the skin.. which is pretty much all it is. They had a rough job.
08-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" the greatest generation "

is more than a title of a great book

and the belly gunners proved that it didn't take a big man to be a big man if you catch my drift

I would love to get a chance to look at that plane in person

do you know if it actual flew missions?
08-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

and the belly gunners proved that it didn't take a big man to be a big man if you catch my drift

I don't recall if it actually flew missions or not.

08-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love your shots, Dewman, the second pic is my favourite, really honours the machine.
08-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not much space ANYWHERE on that plane. Great point of view in #2.
08-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

From the number on the tail, I think this is EAA's Aluminum Overcast. Aluminum Overcast - Wikipedia

If so, no it did not fly missions. But is painted as an aircraft that flew heavily during the war.

Btw interestingly enough I discovered today, through a convo with a coworker, that there were female pilots in ww2 who worked as ferry pilots from the manufacturing plants to the air bases. Over a 1000 were qualified/licensed to fly and were tasked with flying anything from P-51s to B-29s! Interesting generation for sure... the country really seemed to come together in a way I'm not sure it could again. At least not right now..
08-16-2017, 02:34 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
From the number on the tail, I think this is EAA's Aluminum Overcast. Aluminum Overcast - Wikipedia

If so, no it did not fly missions. But is painted as an aircraft that flew heavily during the war.

Btw interestingly enough I discovered today, through a convo with a coworker, that there were female pilots in ww2 who worked as ferry pilots from the manufacturing plants to the air bases. Over a 1000 were qualified/licensed to fly and were tasked with flying anything from P-51s to B-29s! Interesting generation for sure... the country really seemed to come together in a way I'm not sure it could again. At least not right now..
I have heard the same, a limited number of women flew those ferrying missions

here is a part of the true story:

WASP

" the Women Airforce Service Pilots — WASP for short. In 1944, during the graduation ceremony for the last WASP training class, the commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces, Henry "Hap" Arnold, said that when the program started, he wasn't sure "whether a slip of a girl could fight the controls of a B-17 in heavy weather."
"Now in 1944, it is on the record that women can fly as well as men," Arnold said.

A few more than 1,100 young women, all civilian volunteers, flew almost every type of military aircraft — including the B-26 and B-29 bombers — as part of the WASP program. They ferried new planes long distances from factories to military bases and departure points across the country. They tested newly overhauled planes. And they towed targets to give ground and air gunners training shooting — with live ammunition. The WASP expected to become part of the military during their service. Instead, the program was canceled after just two years.

They weren't granted military status until the 1970s. And now, 65 years after their service, they will receive the highest civilian honor given by the U.S. Congress. Last July, President Obama signed a bill awarding the WASP the Congressional Gold Medal. The ceremony will take place on Wednesday on Capitol Hill."

Female WWII Pilots: The Original Fly Girls : NPR

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-16-2017 at 02:39 AM.
08-16-2017, 04:06 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great story! There were some Soviet combat pilots, too ... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

08-16-2017, 04:21 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great story! There were some Soviet combat pilots, too ... Night Witches - Wikipedia
as the linked article explains those women flew bombers in combat

and this article states that there were soviet women who flew fighters in combat as well:

Marina Raskova and the Soviet Women Pilots of World War II
08-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific series. The second photo is very cool.

Jer
08-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific series. The second photo is very cool.

Jer

Thanks, Jerry