Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Komandirskie
Camera: Pentax EI-200 ISO: 140 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: BigMackCam, 08-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Still playing with my very basic, rather old but new-to-me 2 megapickle Pentax EI-200 - and having a ball with it

This photo is of a late-Soviet-era Russian Vostok Komandirskie wristwatch I bought some years ago.

For those interested in watches, this one is marked "ЗАКАЗ МО СССР" and was, therefore, intended for military rather than civilian supply. It uses a 2414A 17-jewel manual-winding mechanical movement and keeps great time for a budget watch

Processed in Lightroom 6 and Analog Efex Pro. The unedited photo actually came out very well, but I decided to play around with some vintage film-type processing, as it seemed appropriate

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-19-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Views: 657
08-19-2017, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a really cool effect! I'd be curious to see the original, too. Isn't that one of the first compacts that Pentax put out?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a really cool effect! I'd be curious to see the original, too. Isn't that one of the first compacts that Pentax put out?
Thanks, Adam

Yes, the EI-200 was the second or third digital camera released by Pentax. The EI-L90 was first in 1996, followed by the EI-200 and EI-2000 in 2000 (also sold by HP as the C618 and C912 respectively).

Considering the age, it's not a bad little camera and the image quality can be quite acceptable. You can save images as JPEG or TIFF, and the TIFF files provide quite a lot of flexibility for editing (plus, of course, no compression artefacts).

Below, the original un-cropped shot with no processing, followed by a partial 100% crop...
Attached Images

08-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really not bad! I shot with a 3MP digital for a while and I remember it was pretty good. The only thing it struggled with noticeably was distant objects such as trees and mountains, which just needed more resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, it really does show its limitations on distance detail. It even struggles with foliage at the other end of the garden, especially when viewed at 1:1. Dynamic range isn't good either, and colour reproduction is... well, a little odd in places (blue skies are kind of turquoise and over-saturated). But it's a fun novelty to play with, and it can produce half-decent images. Better than I expected, frankly
08-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more edit of the original image, this time in Lightroom only. I think I actually prefer this one... less is more
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.