Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 159 Likes Search this Thread
29 Likes  #1
Marina is moving away...
Lens: FA 77 & FA 85 Camera: K-3 & K-1 Photo Location: Florida 
Posted By: LeRolls, 08-22-2017, 10:19 PM

My lovely friend Marina moved to Tallahassee over this last weekend. We managed to catch breakfast together the day before she left at the location of our very first shoot so it was quite emotional for the both of us. We have had a lot of adventures together over our many shoots and I will miss her. She has promised to visit during holidays and that we will continue to shoot. I plan to eventually release a book of images of her someday once I have edited enough of them. I figured I would share a handful of our favorite images.

The blue building in the background is the cafe where we had our breakfast.

A wooden boardwalk at Coral Cove. One of Marina's favorite beaches.

Marina's mother claims that this is her favorite image. A different look for Marina. It started raining not long after this was taken.

By far one of my most popular images on Flickr. It took awhile before I was able to do a B&W of Marina as she is always so full of life and energy but I felt that this one was appropriate.

We found this cute red bridge leading to a lovely little island with fountains and statues.

Taken on a beach in Melbourne.

A lovely trail by the water. Marina was constantly on the lookout for snakes.

Sunrises at the Boynton Beach Inlet rarely disappoint and nothing catches your attention like a red dress.

Natural light of the sunset.

Another rare B&W.

Playful as always.

One of the few models that didn't fall down in the skates.

Some mistook this as a wedding shot.

Always willing to try something new and different.

Views: 24,134
08-22-2017, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice tribute to one of your most photogenic models!
08-23-2017, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

A superb collection showing off your model at her best, plus with an amazing variety of styles and backgrounds. As usual you show us excellent lighting balance and control ...this is how it should be done, and it's always inspiring to see such professional results from a Pentax photographer. Thanks for showing these!

If you can I'd enjoy reading any details and seeing something of the lighting gear used.
08-23-2017, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is one excellent series.

08-23-2017, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree with everyone else, this is a classy series of photographs. Many thanks for sharing. Must be difficult letting her get away. Hopefully, the two of you will continue your friendship.

TT
08-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice tribute to one of your most photogenic models!
Agreed and thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
A superb collection showing off your model at her best, plus with an amazing variety of styles and backgrounds. As usual you show us excellent lighting balance and control ...this is how it should be done, and it's always inspiring to see such professional results from a Pentax photographer. Thanks for showing these!

If you can I'd enjoy reading any details and seeing something of the lighting gear used.
You are too kind good sir. As far as my lighting setup it's nothing special. Just a Vello flash sync cord attached to the AF540FGZ II with a Lightsphere diffuser. I mostly shoot manual and just try to match the light to the ambient so it doesn't look too flashy but just gives a little pop on the subject and gets rid of some of shadows under the eyes. I like to stay mobile and spontaneous so I don't let myself get bogged down with light stands of big sofboxes. I might play around with some of that gear once I setup my studio.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
This is one excellent series.
Appreciate that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have to agree with everyone else, this is a classy series of photographs. Many thanks for sharing. Must be difficult letting her get away. Hopefully, the two of you will continue your friendship.

TT
Nice of you to say. Yes, I miss her already but we have stayed in contact so I am hopeful for the future.
08-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

What's not to like... a pretty girl...expertly photographed, well done.

08-24-2017, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Wow! First I wanted to list the best photos. But so many images turned out to be very good so this list would be too long.
Girl´s figure is also very nice.
08-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
Wow! First I wanted to list the best photos. But so many images turned out to be very good so this list would be too long.
Girl´s figure is also very nice.
I tried to post the best shots. Thanks BTW!
08-24-2017, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Outstanding !
08-24-2017, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
What's not to like... a pretty girl...expertly photographed, well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
Outstanding !
Thank you.

Last edited by LeRolls; 08-28-2017 at 10:18 PM.
08-25-2017, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Yes, I remember all those pictures. Beautiful girl.
It's hard to separate with friends.
08-26-2017, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yes, I remember all those pictures. Beautiful girl.
It's hard to separate with friends.
I agree that Marina is hard to forget and yes I will miss her.

08-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well you've certainly got a great collection here

---------- Post added 26-08-17 at 15:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
You are too kind good sir. As far as my lighting setup it's nothing special. Just a Vello flash sync cord attached to the AF540FGZ II with a Lightsphere diffuser. I mostly shoot manual and just try to match the light to the ambient so it doesn't look too flashy but just gives a little pop on the subject and gets rid of some of shadows under the eyes. I like to stay mobile and spontaneous so I don't let myself get bogged down with light stands of big sofboxes. I might play around with some of that gear once I setup my studio.

Its surprising how nice the results are with just that set up, considering the flash is not that far off axis and the light source is fairly small (I remember that debate about the Lightsphere on the Flash Forum!) .... but it clearly works for you, and I'm thinking that it is the mixing of ambient plus the nice way you place her and work with the ambient light direction that is key.
08-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Well you've certainly got a great collection here

---------- Post added 26-08-17 at 15:38 ----------

Its surprising how nice the results are with just that set up, considering the flash is not that far off axis and the light source is fairly small (I remember that debate about the Lightsphere on the Flash Forum!) .... but it clearly works for you, and I'm thinking that it is the mixing of ambient plus the nice way you place her and work with the ambient light direction that is key.
It's true that when I look at other people's shots who also use the Lightsphere I tend to be underwhelmed but that usually seems to be mostly indoor wedding and event photography. I guess like any piece of gear that someone uses a lot you just get a sense of when and how best to use it for the desired results but yes working with the available ambient light is key. It's always a treat to show the models a shot with and then without the flash. They're always amazed at how much it helps.