Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Views of Mount Warning
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K3 Photo Location: NSW, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 08-23-2017, 04:44 AM

I drove from Coolangatta to Byron Bay, then to the Numinbah Valley in Queensland, which provided a number of angles of Mount Warning.

Byron Bay
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Byron Beach Sunset

Mount Warning Caldera

Sugarcane Fields

Looking south from Beechmont to Mount Warning.

Rosins Lookout

---------- Post added 23-08-17 at 09:55 PM ----------

Mount Warning (called Wollumbin by the aborigines) was so named by Captain James Cook as he sailed north along the coast in 1770 to warn other sailors of the dangerous reefs to the north. The Endeavour almost ran aground near Cook Island just off Fingal Head. Cook named Fingal Head as Point Danger, a name which has been given to a point further north. The mountain itself is the remnant basalt core of an ancient shield volcano mostly active around 20 million years ago. What remains of the caldera is a 25 kilometre diameter semicircle made up of ranges called Springbrook, the Macpherson Ranges, and the Nightcap Ranges as well as other remnants. Mount Warning is 1156 metres high, and some of the peaks of the caldera reach around 1200 metres. The original volcano was probably over 2000 metres high and at least 50 kilometres in diameter. The peaks have temperate and sub-tropical rainforest with tree species that date back to gondwanaland, and living specimens estimated to be over 4000 years old.
Views: 397
08-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rob, that is a terrific series.
Each one is special.
(I was going to say which I liked best - but how can you really choose?)
As a series of the same subject just outstanding.
08-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Rob, that is a terrific series. Each one is special.
(I was going to say which I liked best - but how can you really choose?)
As a series of the same subject just outstanding.
Thanks Rod! I must stitch together the photos I took at the sugarcane field - the one above is one of a panorama set, but here the mountain is the subject. The weather was perfect for big landscapes. I must also get back to the Nightcap Ranges one day - there's a spot I've been to there which really shows the curve of the caldera.
08-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great series and I enjoyed them all. The second one is my favorite though if forced to pick.

08-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great series and I enjoyed them all. The second one is my favorite though if forced to pick.
Thanks Susan! The sunset at Byron was really nice.