Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Fishing
Posted By: Oldbayrunner, 08-28-2017, 04:42 AM

To answer a couple questions from another thread. The bay around Havre de Grace currently is more brackish on the fresh water side of things changing to fresh around the 95 fwy bridge turning into fresh. It has been this way for over 3 years now due to all of the rains. Prior to that you could stand on any of the banks in HDG and see crabs in numbers, not so much now. This is the set up I use to fish all of the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding areas.

Attached Images

Views: 1,134
08-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've got quite the rig there. Looks like a lot of fun.
08-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
To answer a couple questions from another thread. The bay around Havre de Grace currently is more brackish on the fresh water side of things changing to fresh around the 95 fwy bridge turning into fresh. It has been this way for over 3 years now due to all of the rains. Prior to that you could stand on any of the banks in HDG and see crabs in numbers, not so much now. This is the set up I use to fish all of the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding areas.
Thanks for the pic. I'm not sure I'd fish all the bay with it, but good close in for sure. Have you tried any of the skinny water down the Eastern Shore side, Tilghman and below?
08-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I fish quite often down around there. I have had it out when sudden 30mph winds have come up and 2-3ft chop. Not my favorite but it will handle it and get me back safely.

08-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Ok so there you are on what is my planned retirement site. Nice fishing setup you have. Next summer when the 9 to 11 hour workdays are history I look forward to fishing out on the Chesapeake. Also, of course photography. What fish species do you catch out there? Almost all of my fishing has been offshore in salt water. Not sure what is in the region I'm interested which is from the C&D canal into the upper Chesapeake which is not exactly straight saltwater.
08-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That region.. Striped bass, Largemouth & Small mouth Bass, 3 varieties of catfish, white and yellow perch mainly. Some walleye mostly on the Susquehanna. If you go to Lewes, Rehobeth or Jersey shore depending on the time of year you can throw some salt water into the mix.