Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lipstick on a Pig
Posted By: Igilligan, 08-21-2008, 01:31 AM

Jealousy can be a green earred monster... Some of you may remember my award winning
PPG photo of the the cast iron pig

Recently I discovered that the Pig had been attacked by a graffiti vandal. A three year old Menace with markers... The beautiful, sunbleached, rusty, antique work of art has been destroyed... I am looking into having it professionally restored, but the outlook is not good.

Oh and my K100d is back from pentax with its pixels remapped and it looks great. Under three weeks away...

Last edited by Igilligan; 08-21-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Views: 1,801
08-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, gus. I like the last 2 shots where bokeh seem to "float" the pig itself.

The first shot reveals great texture. Like a model shot full frontal.
08-21-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My word, the pig certainly has been done over!

Have you tried a brillo pad and soapy water
08-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

4 words - Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Damn things are nothing short of amazing. Space technology, I say.

c[_]

08-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It looks even better now, don't worry.
08-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Rubbing alcohol does a wonderful job of removing marker, even the so called permanent ones. With the porous texture in the rusty areas, it may take a little work to get it all.

Good luck.

Tim
08-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Igilligan this reminds me of my Grandfather. He used to let us (kids) help him with his projects around his house when we came to visit. I look back and remember how horrible our painting attempts were (one project was the side of the his garage). He never redid the painting and always left our work for us to see and admire when we came to visit. He must have known that we loved to see our handy work and loved to help him (which I appreciate now, it must have doubled his work). This was just one of so many wonderful qualities than made up my Grandfather. He was a magical world and a treasure to every kid that ever met him. He lived to 101, and it broke my heart when he passed away. With this in mind, you may want to leave the "improved" pig just the way it is and let your wonderful little daughter admire her artistic efforts. It will pay dividends in the long run.

08-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Igilligan

Not far from the tree

Spyglass, with a nod to your grandfather and to mine, who let me hammer wood into unrecognizable shapes... And once, when I had used a hand saw and almost cut his work bench in half while he was at work, he did not even yell at me... just sat me down so we could figure out how to fix it!!!!

I could never change old piggy unless she wants to change it... She put a lot of work into those green ears and red face.... how could I?

She has a real deconstructive creative streak to her (like I did) and I am one of those guys who will try very hard to support her... I once pulled the wires off of my moms turntable cartridge and soldered microphone wires to it, to turn it into a PA... She was a little less supportive of that particular concept... haha
08-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Nice thread Gus, gave me a warm feeling.
Gary
08-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

ROTFLMAO!!! Oh Gus, this is just priceless. I know how those dang gremlins with markers can be.
08-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Restore it no way thats art just keep it and smile everytime you think how it ended up like that

cheers
08-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep it real!
It's as dirty as a pig can be.
Cool stuff.