Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Snow season Australian style
Lens: D FA 28-105mm Camera: K-1 
Posted By: clackers, 08-28-2017, 10:57 PM

Hike with the K-1 and DFA28-105 kit lens at Lake Mountain, outside Marysville, Victoria.

In Australia, we do have a ski season, but it's about 72 hours long.

Views: 740
08-29-2017, 12:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series. Too cold for me! But if you talk down our ski season, Australia will never get the Winter Olympics.
08-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
But if you talk down our ski season, Australia will never get the Winter Olympics.
If that were to happen, the service station down the road would make a lot of money selling $5 bags of ice, PJ1!
08-29-2017, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
but it's about 72 hours long
When it arrives here... it seems more like seventy two months.

Anyway you not allowed to mention the dreaded S word here on the forum, without incurring the wrath of a few Northern hemisphere semi Arctic dwelling folk.

08-29-2017, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
When it arrives here... it seems more like seventy two months.

Anyway you not allowed to mention the dreaded S word here on the forum, without incurring the wrath of a few Northern hemisphere semi Arctic dwelling folk.
This. So much this.

*shivers*
08-29-2017, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Come on Clackers, you have been further out of Melbourne than Lake Mountain, surely.
The real snow is in North East Victoria - Buller, Hotham, Falls Creek, even Buffalo often.
It lasts for months and months and months

(Trying to encourage some visitors - more visitors = more money in the local economy!)
08-29-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
(Trying to encourage some visitors - more visitors = more money in the local economy!)
And I was thinking of heading to Australia but not now. Rod has completely ruined it for me with talk of white fluffy stuff. And Clackers, 72 hours is just too much of a winter for me.
By the way, I love the last shot although the smile on the guy's face in the second shot is priceless.

08-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Come on Clackers, you have been further out of Melbourne than Lake Mountain, surely.
The real snow is in North East Victoria - Buller, Hotham, Falls Creek, even Buffalo often.
It lasts for months and months and months

Good of you to be sticking up for your neighbourhood, Rod, but to be fair to your fellow foreign forum members, for skiing Down Under they should be heading to New Zealand!

As a cyclist, I'm well aware of the charms of the North East ... I've ridden up to the top of every one of those ski resorts and more (the so-called Seven Peaks Challenge).

In fact, I'd recommend people enjoy towns like Bright and Beechworth at any time of the year (autumn is special), while the mountains are fantastic in summer for hiking.

Even Wang I've been to several times, along the best bike path in the country ... asphalt the whole way to The Alps.
08-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Susan, don't be put off by the talk of snow.
If you look at a map of Australia, the snowfields are confined to the south east corner (and only a very small portion of that!!)
I live within an hours drive of the closest mountain and in 37 years here have NEVER been to the snow.

Have a look at the old Australia thread - It was started back in 2009 by Bramela (since departed) and lots of images have disappeared. Start at the last page and work backwards.
Post Your shot Across Australia - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
08-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clackers, I knew someone from the North East who 40 years ago flew to NZ for skiing because it was cheaper!!
I don't know if the economics are still that way.
BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE.

And here is the start of "the best bike path in the country" (No-one was riding it at this point on this day!
08-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Clackers, I knew someone from the North East who 40 years ago flew to NZ for skiing because it was cheaper!!
I don't know if the economics are still that way.
Part of the reason was the exchange rate, that bit's no longer valid, the other is the coverage and reliability. I mean, one place you mentioned was Mt Buffalo, I think my favourite road bike climb, but snowfall is so scarce that despite lots of offers, no one will build a resort there or even buy the disused Chalet.

My cousins and stepsons are skiiers, they head to Japan, the States, Canada, NZ and France for 'real skiing', but will do Thredbo/Falls/Hotham because they're there.

And here is the start of "the best bike path in the country" (No-one was riding it at this point on this day!
Youch! Those North East rivers can be pretty mad. White water stuff, too. As a flatwater kayaker and Swan Hill boy, I'm much happier with the likes of the sedate Murray.
08-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hike with the K-1 and DFA28-105 kit lens at Lake Mountain, outside Marysville, Victoria.

In Australia, we do have a ski season, but it's about 72 hours long.
Yet I don't see a single person with skis. Or a married one for that matter.
08-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yet I don't see a single person with skis. Or a married one for that matter.
These are daytrippers, Norm, mostly young foreign college students - a couple had never seen s* before! The idea of chains on the drive wheels was novel to them.

Marysville's about two hours from the city and really only offers cross country.

The downhill stuff Rod talks about is about four hours drive, so you'd do a weekender.
08-29-2017, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
And I was thinking of heading to Australia

Really, Susan (I was about to say "Man up!" but that would not be appropriate). The Australian Alps (or Snowy Mountains as they are known) allegedly receive more snow than Switzerland. But that's not saying much. The part of Australia that has snow is very compact (about one half of one per cent of the land area; and that includes the snow on the Tasmanian highlands). Also our snow season is fairly short and it can be unreliable (which is why Clackers said 72 hours and getting the Winter Olympics is a bit of a standing joke for us). The rest of us in the inland survive some frosty mornings and pleasant days during winter. Go far enough north and you wouldn't even know there was a winter. Keep us on your bucket list. There are lots of Forum members here who could point you in the right direction.