Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Goodbye Harvey . . . . . .
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-30-2017, 06:19 AM

. . . . . . . and good riddance!

Last evening, after 5 days gray, pounding rain and howling winds, Harvey finally moved on - here are a couple of shots of the last of Harvey's clouds in our area.

Here in Lake Jackson (about 50 miles south of Houston), we had it comparatively easy with only about 14 inches of rain total. We had a wild Friday night with tropical storm force winds as Harvey came ashore as a cat 4 at Rockport around 75-100 miles south of us. Also, when the storm turned around and then went north, we had some rough winds about 24 hours ago. Remarkably, we never lost power and were only briefly without cable/internet service a couple of times. Our moment of truth will come tomorrow or Friday: the Brazos river is at record levels and will spill into the watershed of Oyster Creek which winds its way through our town. A portion of the creek runs behind houses across the street from us; it's never come close to leaving its banks during the 22 years we've been here, but there's always a first time. We're crossing our fingers.

Daughter Abbie, son-in-law Donnie and granddaughter Claire, who live in the Kay area west of Houston, came through with no flooding. Both Donnie and Abbie are working at shelters, and Donnie and a friend used a boat to rescue one of Donnie's colleagues yesterday afternoon. This fellow and his wife will be staying with our kids for two or three weeks.

It's been one crazy week!

Jer

Views: 1,743
08-30-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Our prayers are with Texas. I fear there will many worse days to come for lots of people. Glad to hear you and your family came through unscathed and hope the Brazos stays between its banks.
08-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nearly 30 inches of rain here. Been trapped indoors for days. No real problems to report here except cabin fever. The neighborhood though is pretty rough and Houston has some serious damage.

I am about an hour and a half North of Houston btw.
08-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad we don't see storms like that here, our wishes are with you.

08-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Our prayers are with Texas. I fear there will many worse days to come for lots of people. Glad to hear you and your family came through unscathed and hope the Brazos stays between its banks.
Thanks, Susan. We've been fixated on Harvey, so were only dimly aware of other things happening around the country. I remember seeing that a storm is going up the southern East Coast. I hope that's not causing you trouble.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Nearly 30 inches of rain here. Been trapped indoors for days. No real problems to report here except cabin fever. The neighborhood though is pretty rough and Houston has some serious damage.

I am about an hour and a half North of Houston btw.
We didn't have as much rain, but we do have cabin fever. Sunny today! I getting ready to take a bike ride for the first time in days.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I'm glad we don't see storms like that here, our wishes are with you.
Thanks much, EM. I appreciate it.

Jer
08-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I remember seeing that a storm is going up the southern East Coast. I hope that's not causing you trouble.
It went out to sea Jer so all is fine here.
08-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
It went out to sea Jer so all is fine here.
Wonderful!

Jer

08-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My aunt just drove through Columbus from La Grange. She lives in Palacios. She sent me some phone pics. At first I thought it was from Palacios and she says, no it's Columbus, Texas. (Near LaGrange) there was terrible flooding of the La Grange nearest the river where the river topped over 50'. Water has not entirely receded yet.
08-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've seen some of the pictures posted from all of SE Texas. I lived in Houston from 1969 until 1996. I've seen some flooding there but never, ever anything of this magnitude. I'm sure that the folks in Louisiana aren't happy about it, but the folks in TX, I'm quite sure, are happy that Harvey didn't double back into the Houston, Freeport, Brazoria area as was predicted.

We had major damage here in Savannah when Matthew paid us a visit last October and it took several months to clean up. There area of damage here, as opposed to Houston and the SE TX area, would look like a BB in the middle of I-45.
08-31-2017, 05:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very nice images, Sailor. I'm glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed so far. My sister lives in Port Aransas and her and her husband had a rough time of it. They're now digging out and helping the neighbors as much as possible. Chain saws are running 24-7's clearing away downed trees!
08-31-2017, 06:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
I've seen some of the pictures posted from all of SE Texas. I lived in Houston from 1969 until 1996. I've seen some flooding there but never, ever anything of this magnitude. I'm sure that the folks in Louisiana aren't happy about it, but the folks in TX, I'm quite sure, are happy that Harvey didn't double back into the Houston, Freeport, Brazoria area as was predicted.

We had major damage here in Savannah when Matthew paid us a visit last October and it took several months to clean up. There area of damage here, as opposed to Houston and the SE TX area, would look like a BB in the middle of I-45.
Thanks for the comments, Ed. Since you know Houston well, you can imagine the devastation. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Very nice images, Sailor. I'm glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed so far. My sister lives in Port Aransas and her and her husband had a rough time of it. They're now digging out and helping the neighbors as much as possible. Chain saws are running 24-7's clearing away downed trees!
Thanks much. I wish your sister well - they got walloped with the winds (a cat 4 is no joke).

Jer
08-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very ominous, glad you and your family are safe.
08-31-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Closed Account

May you and your family and friends all stay safe and well Jer. And all the other Texans too !!
09-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I see the news here and wish for the best for your guys over there. There is a crazy amount of water dumped there in such short period of time. Hope you guy have enough drinking water stocked up too.
09-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
My aunt just drove through Columbus from La Grange. She lives in Palacios. She sent me some phone pics. At first I thought it was from Palacios and she says, no it's Columbus, Texas. (Near LaGrange) there was terrible flooding of the La Grange nearest the river where the river topped over 50'. Water has not entirely receded yet.
Crazy stuff, indeed. I assume you guys weren't seriously affected???

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Very ominous, glad you and your family are safe.
Thank you. Creeks and bayous are still rising, so we're not quite out of the woods yet, but for now we're fine.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
May you and your family and friends all stay safe and well Jer. And all the other Texans too !!
Thanks, Peter. I appreciate it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I see the news here and wish for the best for your guys over there. There is a crazy amount of water dumped there in such short period of time. Hope you guy have enough drinking water stocked up too.
Thanks so much. We do have a lot of water stocked up, but the city water system is working fine - at least for now.

Jer