Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
An Orchid "teaser"
Posted By: NaClH2O, 02-20-2007, 12:12 PM

I was exploring the NY Botanical Conservatory again last Friday afternoon with my new-to-me SMC 1.2 lens. The place is getting ready for the annual orchid show and there were a some "teasers" out. Some were pretty well hidden. Here are some I found. Note that this is a totally manual lens so I can't give you aperture. I don't take notes while shooting, I have enough to occupy me!
This one was deeply hidden behind some palms and other tropical greenery. I wouldn't have seen it at all except it was back lit by a shaft of light. I couldn't get close, but I think the intervening vegetation gives it a "mysterious" feel: 1/350 ISO 200:

You've seen some of these before, but the plants have been moved and the lighting is completely different. Note the ant in this one. Nice sharp lens when it's focused. 1/250 ISO 200

Besides their colors I think I like the dimensionality of orchids the best.

I find it really hard to photograph white flowers well. They always either look over exposed or under exposed. 1/180 ISO 200

This one was a bit easier because the blue veins broke up the white. 1/125 ISO 200

One last one. I found this one hiding around a corner leading to a maintenance closet. Beautiful flower but it was late, light was failing and I was tired after taking over 200 shots. I didn't quite do it justice. But I can go back.

I hope you've enjoyed looking half as much as I enjoyed taking! As usual any C and C appreciated.

NaCl(I hope you aren't tired of orchids, the show hasn't even opened yet! )H2O
Views: 1,913
02-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Buddy, very nice. I like the "spooky" look of the first one, as well.

Jer
02-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Jer, there will probably be more to come, once the show opens officially.

NaCl(I might even take a day off from work)H2O
02-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great macros captured. The angles are unique

02-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful flowers. I think you did a great job on the whilte flowers. I've only seen orchids in person once and I always forget how beautiful they are. thanks for sharing!