Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Beautiful bird - but what is it?
Posted By: Canada_Rockies, 08-22-2008, 03:11 PM

This bird, and another almost identical, stopped by our Saskatoon trees yesterday, and I took a couple of shots when they got close enough to be capable of identification, using my SMC-P M 400/5.6 (what else? ). This is a severe crop of the image exported from Lightroom at 100%.

Does anyone know what he/she is? The markings and size are similar to the pine siskin, but the colour is a beautiful yellow rather than brownish with yellow markings. The chain link fence links are approximately 2 inches (50 mm) sqaure.

Attached Images

Views: 2,350
08-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm terrible at IDing birds, but looking through my books it could be a yellow warbler, or a scarlet tanager. (the description of the female says olive green above/yellow below for the female tanager)

I think it's the yellow warbler - description I've got says "olive-yellow above, head, underparts, and wing and tail edging bright yellow"
08-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The only all yellow bird I know of is the Yellow Warbler, but I don't know how far west it travels. I can't see it's breast but if it is a male it will have some reddish/ brown vertical streaks. If not the Yellow Warbler than some other western warbler or a Vireo maybe.
08-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yellow warbler (female) seems to fit the bill.

All About Birds: Yellow Warbler

08-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yellow Warbler, according to two different guides

I also believe it's a Yellow Warbler - a check on my Nat. Geo. Field Guide to North American Birds, and it seems to fit the plumage characteristics.

I did a second check in my Sibley's Guide, and it certainly looks like an adult male... hope that helps. For reference, their summer range is all the way north to the Mackenzie River Delta, most of Alaska, NWT, and almost all of Quebec.

Regards,
Marc
08-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My guide says for yellow warbler "the male has chestnut stripes on chest and sides, the female lacks these"

This is sort of a bad angle for those markings, but with the little bit of the side and chest we do see I don't see any hint of stripes, based solely on this photo I'd say it is a female.
08-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL... Dan, this could be fun! Mine is based on the head plumage that it's a male, although with the crop/angle it's a little tougher, I agree...

I like your call on this one Dan: my initial call was that it seems the females have more dark plumage on the crest of the head in the Sibley's guide illustration. The dark area behind the crest goes all the way up to at least the eyes on the female illustration, while on the male, it matches this photo.

Of course, there are variations on plumage all the time... Let's toss a coin...

Cheers,
Marc

08-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here's the other picture

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the enthusiasm on this forum (and the humour). For interest sake only, here is another severe crop at 100%. To bring this back to on topic, K10d, SMC-P M 400/5.6, focused at 5 meters (as close as it will go), wide open, special filters (double paned patio door), ISO 400, 1/180@f/5.6. Camera set to AF.S, Av, hand held. (I was lucky to get the lens out of the bag and changed before they flew off into the wild blue yonder.

I figured this shot would be even worse for identifying the lovely creature. I still cannot see the underside. He/she was a few inches below floor level, and I was standing to get a clear view. The snap-in-focus worked perfectly ... on the head of the lawn ornament. I've also included the two originals. Anyone who believes a 400 mm lens is good enough for any bird can think again. BTW, the one with the bird on the fence EXIF says 11:53:58 am and the other is at 11:53:00. They don't stand still very long at all.
Attached Images

08-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
LOL... Dan, this could be fun! Mine is based on the head plumage that it's a male, although with the crop/angle it's a little tougher, I agree...

I like your call on this one Dan: my initial call was that it seems the females have more dark plumage on the crest of the head in the Sibley's guide illustration. The dark area behind the crest goes all the way up to at least the eyes on the female illustration, while on the male, it matches this photo.

Of course, there are variations on plumage all the time... Let's toss a coin...

Cheers,
Marc
you're right on the variations - makes IDing them really tough sometimes. I'll go for the coin toss too, just in time as the NFL season is about to begin.
(and you're much more knowledgeable of a wildlife person than I am, I was merely quoting my guidebook)