Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax builds them tough....
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM

....On the second morning of my trip I was on my way back to the car, Bigma and K10D over my left shoulder, K100D and 16-45 around my neck and the tripod in my right hand. I was coming of a grassy area unto the gravel path and the next thing I knew I was on my way down, face first and I knew that this was not going to be good. One of my feet had gotten hooked behind a hidden root and that was that.

After I cleaned and disinfected severe abrasions on my left forearm and my forehead, picked the gravel out from under my nails of my right hand, got all the bleeding stopped, sat down and had a bottle of water I looked at the camera and lenses. To tell the truth, they looked a mess. Now, there area few things that I always have in the car, a substantial first aid kit and cleaning material.

So I set to work and started cleaning, both lenses Bigma and the 16-45 seemed to take the brute of the fall on the lens hoods, they were pretty scratched up. The K10D also has a few scratches on the rear corner by the serial #.

After everything was reasonable clean I took a few test shots and low and behold everything seemed to be working fine. Later that night in the hotel I did a few focus checks and it it seemed to be OK. So the next morning I drove down to Whitewater Lake (in Manitoba) and here are some of the results:

Ah, what a fine morning,

Let's have a drink

Oh, but that was good

Now for a bit of body maintenance

That's when the bird noticed me

One last parting shot

All with K10D and Bigma, handheld.

So, as you can see everything works fine. Looking in the mirror, the two bumps on my forehead aren't really all that bad, most of the wrinkles are gone. LOL

Please let me know how color and contrast looks, this laptop is not calibrated and I have never liked it anyway.

comments are always welcome

Last edited by Heinrich Lohmann; 08-23-2008 at 04:29 AM. Reason: added sentence
Views: 3,392
08-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Very nice shots. Glad you and your cameras came through ok.
Thank you for the kind words,

Take care,

08-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Glad you are ok... and the gear too. My waterfall mishap was similar. After a bit of scotch and a few days rest all was as good as new.
Thank you, I couln't do the scotch thing being on the road and all but after 5 days now I can even see the humor in it.

Take care,
08-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
^^^^ see that Pentaxians knows best LOL
Scotch a day keeps the doctor away

cheers
I still prefer the dark Rum,

Take care,
08-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #34
Pentaxian

You had better not hurt yourself anymore. I enjoy and learn from your pictures. Nice sharp pictures I hope that bigma is still okay.

08-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
You had better not hurt yourself anymore. I enjoy and learn from your pictures. Nice sharp pictures I hope that bigma is still okay.
Thank you and yes I will be more careful. Bigma is fine, those were taken after the mishap.

Take care,
08-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Nice shots Heinrich, and sorry to hear about the fall. It's good to know the Pentax and Bigmas can take a fall but I'll try to avoid emulating you....except perhaps on the dark rum. I'm in total agreement with you there.
08-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Nice shots Heinrich, and sorry to hear about the fall. It's good to know the Pentax and Bigmas can take a fall but I'll try to avoid emulating you....except perhaps on the dark rum. I'm in total agreement with you there.
Hi and thank you Scott and why would anyone at all be in disagreement about dark rum?

Today I took an almost 5 hour hike in Pukaskwa National Park without any falls or other mishaps, so I guess I'll just have to learn how to walk on level ground. Todays hike was on anything but level ground.

Take care,