Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax builds them tough....
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM

....On the second morning of my trip I was on my way back to the car, Bigma and K10D over my left shoulder, K100D and 16-45 around my neck and the tripod in my right hand. I was coming of a grassy area unto the gravel path and the next thing I knew I was on my way down, face first and I knew that this was not going to be good. One of my feet had gotten hooked behind a hidden root and that was that.

After I cleaned and disinfected severe abrasions on my left forearm and my forehead, picked the gravel out from under my nails of my right hand, got all the bleeding stopped, sat down and had a bottle of water I looked at the camera and lenses. To tell the truth, they looked a mess. Now, there area few things that I always have in the car, a substantial first aid kit and cleaning material.

So I set to work and started cleaning, both lenses Bigma and the 16-45 seemed to take the brute of the fall on the lens hoods, they were pretty scratched up. The K10D also has a few scratches on the rear corner by the serial #.

After everything was reasonable clean I took a few test shots and low and behold everything seemed to be working fine. Later that night in the hotel I did a few focus checks and it it seemed to be OK. So the next morning I drove down to Whitewater Lake (in Manitoba) and here are some of the results:

Ah, what a fine morning,

Let's have a drink

Oh, but that was good

Now for a bit of body maintenance

That's when the bird noticed me

One last parting shot

All with K10D and Bigma, handheld.

So, as you can see everything works fine. Looking in the mirror, the two bumps on my forehead aren't really all that bad, most of the wrinkles are gone. LOL

Please let me know how color and contrast looks, this laptop is not calibrated and I have never liked it anyway.

comments are always welcome

Last edited by Heinrich Lohmann; 08-23-2008 at 04:29 AM. Reason: added sentence
Views: 3,396
08-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Damn Brit

That's a good story from the Pentax point of view Heinrich and some wonderful shots to prove everything is ok.
I'm glad you were ok as well apart from a few scrapes but I bet you were pretty shook up. We should all take notice of this and be careful when we get off the beaten track. Otherwise life insurance companies are going to classify photography as a dangerous sport.
Gary
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow Heinrich.. Happy to hear you are ok along with your equipment. A month ago I left my K10 on top of a rental car in Salt Lake and drove away only to see it roll off the trunk onto the road. Smashed my hood and filter which I had to replace. Camera still working well along with my Tamron 28-75 though the front is a little loose. May send it in to get looked at but still takes good picture. Take care out there. Were not as young ad we once were. JIMBO
08-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Heinrich,

Glad both you and your gear survived the crash with only minor damage. Take care.

Tom G

08-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good to see you and the pentax pulled through OK
And for any lingering pain I prescribe and good slug of scotch

and the quality of your shots are in a tip top condition

cheers
08-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That's a good story from the Pentax point of view Heinrich and some wonderful shots to prove everything is ok.
I'm glad you were ok as well apart from a few scrapes but I bet you were pretty shook up. We should all take notice of this and be careful when we get off the beaten track. Otherwise life insurance companies are going to classify photography as a dangerous sport.
Gary
Thank you Gary and yes, I have gotten alot more careful. It is me that always preaches: "watch where you put your feet".

Take care,
08-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Wow Heinrich.. Happy to hear you are ok along with your equipment. A month ago I left my K10 on top of a rental car in Salt Lake and drove away only to see it roll off the trunk onto the road. Smashed my hood and filter which I had to replace. Camera still working well along with my Tamron 28-75 though the front is a little loose. May send it in to get looked at but still takes good picture. Take care out there. Were not as young ad we once were. JIMBO
Hi Jim and thank you. Having it checked out anyway might be a good idea, while I'm in Burlington, Ontario I'll drive down to the Pentax service centre in Mississaga and let them have a look at it. As for "we are not as young as we once were", we are as old as we feel we are and some days I'm 18 and some other days well yes I'm 76.

Take care,

08-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Heinrich,

Glad both you and your gear survived the crash with only minor damage. Take care.

Tom G
Hi Tom and thank you.

Take care,
08-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Heinrich, you seem to have a fun with the trip. The photographs are well worth the effort.
08-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Good to see you and the pentax pulled through OK
And for any lingering pain I prescribe and good slug of scotch

and the quality of your shots are in a tip top condition

cheers
Thank you for the kind words and advise. If you don't mind I will substitute dark Rum. :
08-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots, good to hear things went well. Love nr. 3 with the water droplets. The last shot is superb too
08-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow glad to hear all is well Heinrich - I think all of us have either been there or just about been there ! Photo's look good to me appears the Penatx and lenses are as tough as you are.
08-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like my daddy would say: "Hows it feel to be Graceful"
Glad your ok and real glad the Bigma was unharmed. ...
The shots look great can't wait to see some more from the trip.
08-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent series.

Glad you are OK. Now let's not do any more of that impact testing of the cameras and lenses. LOL
08-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Heinrich, you seem to have a fun with the trip. The photographs are well worth the effort.
Thanks for looking and commenting, it is appreciated.

Take care,