Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First try with IR and K10D
Posted By: mhertel, 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM

I bought a 720nm infrared filter on ebay and did a few test shots today.. either I am doing something wrong or this filter is totally wrong..

Comments, suggestions would be appreciated
Views: 3,139
08-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Anybody? This should be the right type of filter, but the output looks all wrong
08-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

You are not in the right forum for answers to your question. But try this asnyway:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/34035-infrared-pho...rted-k10d.html
and any posting from "Frank" do a search for him. He uses a Pentax camera permanently converted to IR. The filter is built right into the camera over the sensor.

JMR
08-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It looks like you don't have an infrared filter, you've just got a red filter.

08-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Sorry for the wrong area..

Yes, looks like a red filter, but it says "IR 720" on it..
08-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The IR one is almost black and difficult to see through unless you on looking into a very bright background. I have one and it takes long exposures to use and patience on the focusing. JIMBO
08-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
JMR
Veteran Member

I did not mean to suggest that you should never ask on this forum, and I am sorry if came across that way. I only meant to say that there is a good forum in the Pentax site for these questions. The old IR with film, to my eyes is superior to the digital images. The images glow and most are done in black and white. And when done well they surreal and otherworldly. Good luck.

JMR

09-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #8

First try with IR and K10d

Mhertel - you need to post process the image to convert from red to the classic IR look. What brand of filter did you use? HoyaR72 or another vendor?

I'm not sure what pp software you use so I can't really help out. I've used Picasa and am currently flubbing along with Elements. Briefly, set your white balance to custom, and select the grass or a leaf. The image should be converted to grayscale and be mostly black and white. From there, adjust tones and lighting. Watch out for excessive noise in the photo.

A forum member has an excellent step-by-step tutorial on IR conversion (as well as some solid photos).

Frank's Intro to Digital Infrared Photography

Feel free to contact me with any other questions (but I'm still a noob, so take it for what it's worth).

Me.
09-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhertel Quote
Sorry for the wrong area..

Yes, looks like a red filter, but it says "IR 720" on it..
The Red color is normal for IR pictures. What you'll need to do is either convert to B&W, or set your White Balance in your editing program to clear the red.

If you aren't converting to B&W, it should look something like this after you correct the white balance:

After that, you can swap the Red and Blue channels to get something like this:

09-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Damn Brit

Create a custom white balance for when you do the IR shots.
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice.. I will give it another shot soon
09-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Man, you learn something new everyday... thanks for sharing... before i used this filter and then decided to throw it away! Very nice shots alohadave JIMBO
09-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #13

Almost forgot - you really need to use RAW for IR work. More information is available to the processor, especially if you want to get the bright foliage and blue skies (like alohadave's work).
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
Almost forgot - you really need to use RAW for IR work. More information is available to the processor, especially if you want to get the bright foliage and blue skies (like alohadave's work).
Thanks.. I only shoot raw anyway, so that would not have been an issue
09-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mhertel Quote
Thanks.. I only shoot raw anyway, so that would not have been an issue
Yes, but do a custom white balance anyway in camera. Trust me on this, you will be able to squeeze better colors out of the file if you do that first, even shooting RAW, otherwise there will be a lot more red tinge to it and it will be more difficult to process.

(like the pic you posted, the exif says you used auto white balance)