Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Mushrooms: XG-1 to the rescue
Lens: n/a Camera: XG-1 Photo Location: South Algonquin, Ontario ISO: 100 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 09-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Shooting mushrooms with a K-1 , the depth of field is a constant source of frustration. Even using live view and manual focus, it's so tight it's hard to position the DOF where you want it. It's exhausting.... so time for a vacation, today I went out with the little tripod and the XG-1. It quickly key became apparent that I needed more dynamic range, but it has an HDR setting which I used extensively. Sort of the XG-1 version of pixel shift.

It's not all about just using the biggest format you can. It's always about using the appropriate format for what you are crying to achieve. The XG-1 gives you 16 MP on a back-lit sensor, lots of room for cropping and plenty of DoF.

The worst thing about it is you feel like you are cheating.
Views: 1,028
09-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quite the variety, and great job!
09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Quite the variety, and great job!
Thanks, personally, I think small sensor cameras are vastly under-rated in their ability, because the things people do with larger format, tripod 2 second delay, selecting Aperture for DOF, most people don't do with smaller format cameras, it's a shame.
09-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks, personally, I think small sensor cameras are vastly under-rated in their ability, because the things people do with larger format, tripod 2 second delay, selecting Aperture for DOF, most people don't do with smaller format cameras, it's a shame.
Yes,
We just had a birthday at a restaurant.
I had anticipated DOF and framing difficulty for 6 of us at the table with my Pentax, so took the ( older) M43.

The camera was in Auto with auto iso.
At 14mm it set 60th f/3.5 and iso 200 and a little bit of fill flash.

My son and the waiter took some really good family photos.

09-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Love the fifth one Norm. My favorite of a great series.
09-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks, personally, I think small sensor cameras are vastly under-rated in their ability
For macro, the K1 pushed me to the same conclusion, I sold the 100 macro... I bought a macro filter but the issue is DoF is so thin that it's a pain to get it right. A rugged camera with smaller sensor would do just fine , smaller and cheaper. Anyway, for macro on a small tripod, the lowest ISO can be used, at the lowest ISO settings IQ is not a problem.
09-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Yes,
We just had a birthday at a restaurant.
I had anticipated DOF and framing difficulty for 6 of us at the table with my Pentax, so took the ( older) M43.

The camera was in Auto with auto iso.
At 14mm it set 60th f/3.5 and iso 200 and a little bit of fill flash.

My son and the waiter took some really good family photos.
It's definitely not all about the big ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Love the fifth one Norm. My favorite of a great series.
Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For macro, the K1 pushed me to the same conclusion, I sold the 100 macro... I bought a macro filter but the issue is DoF is so thin that it's a pain to get it right. A rugged camera with smaller sensor would do just fine , smaller and cheaper. Anyway, for macro on a small tripod, the lowest ISO can be used, at the lowest ISO settings IQ is not a problem.
I find myself going to ƒ22 quite a bit on the K-1, which it handles surprisingly well. This is just easier.

09-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some very nice images Norm, it doesn't matter what camera took them. For many situations I just love my Qs.
10-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #9

Love these pics and having tried quite a few 'shrrooms myself I know how tricky they can be to shoot. Tricky little blighters have a cap that is an annoying distance from the stem so you can have stem in focus but cap out of focus or vice-versa. Getting the right DOF / aperture for a pleasing amount of everything in focus is tricky. IMO a good bridge camera outshines a macro / zoom lens in many instances.
10-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GummyBear Quote
Love these pics and having tried quite a few 'shrrooms myself I know how tricky they can be to shoot. Tricky little blighters have a cap that is an annoying distance from the stem so you can have stem in focus but cap out of focus or vice-versa. Getting the right DOF / aperture for a pleasing amount of everything in focus is tricky. IMO a good bridge camera outshines a macro / zoom lens in many instances.
It's definitely nice to have both.
10-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Nice series, and good words of wisdom as well thanks for sharing both!
« Turtle | Dodge Ram »