Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
White Water Rafting
Posted By: daacon, 08-23-2008, 08:18 AM

Well let's get the disclaimers out of the way first. Obvioulsy these are not taken by me as my son and I are front and center in the raft. Also this was not taken by a Pentax.

1200 Kilometer (600 there , 600 back) drive over 2 days to do some of this what a blast. The set up :

This is the Kicking Horse River in Golden BC. The water is glacier fed - pretty much 3 degrees Celsius (about 37 degrees Fahrenheit) all year and yes we jumped in numerous times ,crazy canucks. The boy did about 3 flips off the bow and into the water throughout the day. Me one time I went in (jumped in some small rapids), went under , swallowed a whack of water , thought I was gonna die hahaha - fun times :-)

Click on image for larger view

The water along with being very cold was very muddy. There were some recent huge mud slides that litteraly changed the color of the water that week.

Thas is me about to get a face full and my son to my right ...

We got the front the whole day. If you have never river rafted before , the front is where the action is at . We offered it to others but they all declined - good for us !

This was about a 6 hour day with a BBQ Steak Lunch break. Immediately after this we jumped into the hotel hot tub for a good 30 minutes !

There are many more , if you wanna see more head over to :
White Water Rafting 2008 - a set on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed !
Views: 1,619
08-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a lot of fun. Dirty wet fun
08-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Great captures, I love brown water rafting!
08-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Dave, looks like a great vacation .Love the shots. JIMBO

08-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Damn Brit

I now dub thee BRAVE DAVE
08-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Looks like a lot of fun. Dirty wet fun
Thanks Kris - a good description all that is missing was the adjective COLD

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
Great captures, I love brown water rafting!
Thanks Ben - we try and go every year - first year it could be called Brown water for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Dave, looks like a great vacation .Love the shots. JIMBO
Thanks Jimbo. It was a great day not quite a vacation. We left Wednesday home Friday evening. It is tough trying to co-ordinate my work schedule with my Son's and school soon starting - still we managed a day of this and some Zip Lining
08-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I now dub thee BRAVE DAVE
Thanks Gary you do have to sign the standard if you die it's not our fault disclaimer - but the guides are very experienced (ours had been with this company 7 years) and they can really judge the crew as to how much 'fun/danger' they will put you in. We had a good crew so we went through several class 4 rapids.

Rapids are rated on a scale from 1 - 6 with 6 being unraftable.(Think Niagra Falls!). Never been on a 5 but 4 is pretty fun.

I would LOVE to try it in a little warmer water some day ....

08-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, every time that I drive by there I am tempted to go for a trip and if I'd be by myself I probably would but than on second thought lately I seem to have enough trouble just walking. LOL

Take care,
08-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Well, every time that I drive by there I am tempted to go for a trip and if I'd be by myself I probably would but than on second thought lately I seem to have enough trouble just walking. LOL
Take care,
Ha Ha yeah I read that post - as weather sealed as the k10d and k20d you would not bring them so you have both hands free ! You should stop in. I have tried a couple of companies in Golden and I find the Glacier Raft Company the best. They offer a steak dinner for lunch - have several trips to choose from.

In the morning you get into some small rapids (Class 2 and I think one class 3) , then Lunch , afternoon is the second phase (some class 3 and 4) and then you have to portage to the last section (mostly class 4 ). You can take any combination of the trips it is broken into 3 sections, some people we were with only went for one, some two and some all three. We went for it all, it was fun.

Also the photographer (Darren) is great you get all the pics (full res jpg’s) for $25.00 pretty sweet deal. I could have gotten the raws I am sure (He shoots with a Cannon but still a nice guy )
08-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Dave, I spotted you in the first shot. You looked like you had a blast there. That is the photo I would frame it if I were you.

Great memory is the best purpose for photography!
08-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks very fast paced and excitement level on the insane scale

cheers
08-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Dave, I spotted you in the first shot. You looked like you had a blast there. That is the photo I would frame it if I were you.
Great memory is the best purpose for photography!
Thanks James - I may indeed there are several others I may make a montage so to sepak. Fortuante the photographer gave us the full sized jpg's that is rare.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Looks very fast paced and excitement level on the insane scale
cheers
Thanks cupic - yep yep yep there was some hooting and hollering for sure.