Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Red-necked wallaby - almost a pet
Lens: Pentax Q 02 Camera: Pentax Q Photo Location: Mosquito Creek, Queensland Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: PJ1, 09-22-2017, 08:59 PM

A female red-necked wallaby with joey in the pouch. The joey looks big enough to be out (at least some of the time) but as we are having a particularly dry season, maybe she is reluctant to toss him/her out. This wallaby will come into the house yard at any opportunity if we leave the gate open. There is very little to eat outside. We have had just 25.4mm (1 inch) of rain since 29 June and not a single drop since 3 August. The place is a dust bowl but the lawn still looks slightly green where the house shades it from most of the sun. She comes in chasing that - or the roses and grape vines which she will strip if given a chance. She is very quiet. I can walk with a few feet of her. Anyway, to help her out I have been breaking a few leafy twigs of a kurrajong tree. Kurrajongs are highly edible, according to the kangaroos. She is eating her daily ration here. Note the front paws. They are quite good at manipulating things with them and routinely use them when feeding. We also have a female eastern grey kangaroo that jumps the fence to get into the yard (she is the only one that does). She comes in every day, but only ever nibbles the grass, never touches the roses or grape vines. Neither of these visitors is popular with SWMBO because of "garden issues".

The mauve flowers here are blue heliotrope - a weed originally from South America. Because it has a long tap root it survives where the grass cannot. Its leaves are inedible, but cattle gorge on the flowers for the nectar.

Views: 462
09-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent image of a lovely visitor(s) to get to your garden Pete. I might be lucky to get one of the neighbours dogs popping in. Good of you to look after these little ones. Hope you get some rain soon mate, sounds bad there. Good luck to you.
09-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good catch and she does look friendly too.
09-28-2017, 02:56 AM   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Excellent image
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Good catch

Thanks for looking. The young one is out now but reluctant to stray to far from Mum. And Mum now comes up to me whenever I walk outside, looking for me to get her some kurrajong leaves. Some showers forecast this weekend. Fingers crossed!

09-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice one!
09-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Very nice one!