Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Dave' Top 10 - Canadian Rockies
Posted By: daacon, 08-23-2008, 11:02 AM

The weather was overcast most of the 2 days we were there. While I complain about ocean envy quite a bit ha-ha , once a year at least I do manage to get away from here for a trip through some pretty majestic local scenery. While photos rarely do grand landscapes justice , here are a few of my favorites. Hope it gives you somewhat the same sense I get every time I see them

Just click on image for larger view

There are so many more but hopefully that gives you a small taste of the Canadian Rockies in Alberta and BC.
Views: 2,158
08-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Magnificent scenery, Dave, I like especially number 5 when viewed in big size!

08-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsherwood Quote
Really very nice shots Dave!
I lived/worked at Chateau Lake Louise for a season in my youth.........sadly I couldn't even spell photography back in those days, but it is the most beautiful place I've ever been in all my days. We used to go for weekend getaways to Invermere ( InverBeer!!) and there was a piece of highway that had been ravaged by forest fire previously ( I think it was purposly left ravaged as a reminder of how destructive fires can be ) Is that still there?

We also used to go regularly up and over the continental divide to get to Field BC..........was the closest place you could buy Kokanee Lager back in the day!!

Heinrich..........Moraine lake was just down the road from Lake Louise if I remember correctly? Was also the picture on the back of the old $20 bill no? Gods country..........you both are very lucky to be so close........can't wait till my girls are old enough to make that trip!!

I'm very jealous!
Thanks John What did you do at Lousie ? Ski Bum !! (I wish I was in my youth) I don't recall if that burnt out area is still there , then again there is a lot of forest and I lots of it's burns every year with carless campers and lighting, etc. Kokanee is my beer of choice , and yes Moraine Lake is not too far from Lake Louise all beautiful country. Not sure on the $20.00 I think you may be right though. if you get down that way let me know maybe we can hook up.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Magnificent scenery, Dave, I like especially number 5 when viewed in big size!
Thanks Georg glad you liked them.
08-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks Grant - yep is is a big ass country we have here - and I would love to see your neck of the woods so to speak (some day ....)
When you're ready... just give us a yell.
Cheers
Grant
08-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Magestic scenery you've captured here Dave. I especially like #4, 6 & 7. In #5 is that crevice full of ice? What was the weather like on your trip? Thanks for sharing these beautiful images Dave. You must be feeling good after this journey.

08-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
When you're ready... just give us a yell.
Cheers
Grant
Thanks Grant I hope to take you up on that - issue for me is time - hard to get 4 - 6 weeks off haha and that is the minimal amount of time I would want for a trip to the other side of the world - Self employed issues ... good and bad - some poeple think being self employed can leave whenever haha not so much..... (but I enjoy it mostly)

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Magestic scenery you've captured here Dave. I especially like #4, 6 & 7. In #5 is that crevice full of ice? What was the weather like on your trip? Thanks for sharing these beautiful images Dave. You must be feeling good after this journey.
Thanks Laree that is indeed ice - click on the image for a full view looks better. It was -100 degrees Kelvin it's Canada eh ...actually the ground weather (ground being about 5000ft above sea level) was moslty overcast , some rain . Temperatures were low teens to high teens Celsius 50 - 66 Fahrenheit). Up on the mouantins tops considerably colder and there is snow / ice all year round on some of the peaks.
08-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Dave these are just spectacular!
08-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Dave

I figured it was pretty cold. It is hard for me to wrap my brain around cold at this time of year. Heck it never gets THAT cold in San Diego any time.
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I figured it was pretty cold. It is hard for me to wrap my brain around cold at this time of year. Heck it never gets THAT cold in San Diego any time.
I'll ship you some cold from Buffalo.

On another note, love the shots of the mountains. Been through a few times and I always miss it. I wish I had my camera back when we drove through from Calgary to Vancouver through the mountains.

08-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never been there so thanks for the photo journey. Amazing rock structures
08-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Wow man.. Wow!
08-26-2008, 04:44 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Dave these are just spectacular!
Thanks Rosemary - glad you enjoyed them.

ha ha it's funny to see you call those temps cold I still had shorts and a T-shirt on - then again it's what you are use to.

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
I'll ship you some cold from Buffalo.
On another note, love the shots of the mountains. Been through a few times and I always miss it. I wish I had my camera back when we drove through from Calgary to Vancouver through the mountains.
Exactly madmikeess - thanks for the comments glad you got to see them in person.

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
Never been there so thanks for the photo journey. Amazing rock structures
Thanks weatherwise2 - if you ever get the chance I recommend it.

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Wow man.. Wow!
Thanks vizjerei - that's about what I say every time I see them.