Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dave' Top 10 - Canadian Rockies
Posted By: daacon, 08-23-2008, 11:02 AM

The weather was overcast most of the 2 ½ days we were there. While I complain about ocean envy quite a bit ha-ha , once a year at least I do manage to get away from here for a trip through some pretty majestic local scenery. While photos rarely do grand landscapes justice , here are a few of my favorites. Hope it gives you somewhat the same sense I get every time I see them

Just click on image for larger view

There are so many more but hopefully that gives you a small taste of the Canadian Rockies in Alberta and BC.
Views: 2,792
08-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
#6 has me salivating. Beautiful pics.
08-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Dave.. been there and you did a great job of showing off 5the beauty of the area. My favorites are #4 and 6 though all are great shots. I think #6 has so many angles for great shots. Past that mountain so many times when I wasn't into this hobby and pulled over just to look at its glory. someone could spend weeks in this region and still not cover a 10th of the area and shot potentials. Thank you for sharing. JIMBO

PS: There are some excellent shots throuhg Rogers Pass too
08-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like 5 and 6 the best, but they all look great when you live in flat country.

08-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

DAve,

I've never been further west than Banff. Looks like I need to finish the trip someday. Nice photos.

Tom G
08-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Damn Brit

They work for me Dave, I wish I was there.
08-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Canada.

Brings back great memories.

08-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I agree no6 is awesome. What a magnificent looking mountain, some good climbing there i reckon, no7 is pretty cool too
08-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
#6 has me salivating. Beautiful pics.
Thanks Susan - there are even more impressive in person

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Dave.. been there and you did a great job of showing off 5the beauty of the area. My favorites are #4 and 6 though all are great shots. I think #6 has so many angles for great shots. Past that mountain so many times when I wasn't into this hobby and pulled over just to look at its glory. someone could spend weeks in this region and still not cover a 10th of the area and shot potentials. Thank you for sharing. JIMBO
PS: There are some excellent shots throuhg Rogers Pass too
Thanks Jimbo you are so right. Driving back I could have stopped every kilometer. I also could have gotten off the highway every kilometer on some side road. One could spend a lifetime in that region and not see it all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I like 5 and 6 the best, but they all look great when you live in flat country.
Thanks Fl_Gulfer - but hey you have an ocean

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
DAve,
I've never been further west than Banff. Looks like I need to finish the trip someday. Nice photos.
Tom G
Thanks Tom Banff is very nice (a little to commercial now-a-days) but yeah there is soo much more next time keep heading west until you hit an ocean.
08-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
They work for me Dave, I wish I was there.
Thanks Gary - I wish I was still there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Oh Canada.
Brings back great memories.
Thanks Grant - yep is is a big ass country we have here - and I would love to see your neck of the woods so to speak (some day ....)

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
I agree no6 is awesome. What a magnificent looking mountain, some good climbing there i reckon, no7 is pretty cool too
Thanks Tom - these are in national parks not sure you can legally climb these mountains (well some of them anyway) - but that does not stop some for sure.
08-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again wonderful images Dave, it is gorgeous country. Week or so before I left on this trip we spent a day at Morraine Lake and Lake Louise. I should post a few of that day.

Thanks for posting them and do take care,
08-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series of pics, Dave. I really like 6 and 8. Wonderful scenery. I have to go there some day.
08-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Exquisite series I was going to pick out my favs but there all superb

cheers
08-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Again wonderful images Dave, it is gorgeous country. Week or so before I left on this trip we spent a day at Morraine Lake and Lake Louise. I should post a few of that day.
Thanks for posting them and do take care,
Thanks Heinrich - we stopped there as well. It was overcast and dizzzling I managerd a few shots I as well, probably my next post. Looking forward to seeing yours.

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Great series of pics, Dave. I really like 6 and 8. Wonderful scenery. I have to go there some day.
Thanks Frank - well if you ever do there is a cold beer and a hot steak waiting here for ya.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Exquisite series I was going to pick out my favs but there all superb
cheers
Thanks cupic - glad you enjoyed them.
08-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Forum Member

Really very nice shots Dave!

I lived/worked at Chateau Lake Louise for a season in my youth.........sadly I couldn't even spell photography back in those days, but it is the most beautiful place I've ever been in all my days. We used to go for weekend getaways to Invermere ( InverBeer!!) and there was a piece of highway that had been ravaged by forest fire previously ( I think it was purposly left ravaged as a reminder of how destructive fires can be ) Is that still there?

We also used to go regularly up and over the continental divide to get to Field BC..........was the closest place you could buy Kokanee Lager back in the day!!

Heinrich..........Moraine lake was just down the road from Lake Louise if I remember correctly? Was also the picture on the back of the old $20 bill no? Gods country..........you both are very lucky to be so close........can't wait till my girls are old enough to make that trip!!

I'm very jealous!