Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

How NOT to take photos... some fun... seriously... 8-)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 08-23-2008, 05:16 PM

This is what happens when the 500mm is mounted, and the Grackle is just a little too close... leg amputation... Taken at F/5.6, 1/3200 sec, ISO 640, EV -0.67. Used the 40D and Sigma 500/4.5. Straight conversion from RAW using ACR defaults, nothing else:

I cropped a bit off the right side, nothing more - it's still over 3500 pixels on the long side. There was a bit of OOF grass or something across it's tail too. It's very good at 100%. However, I felt it important to show this photo - the subtle purples and rufous tail almost shimmers on these birds when the light hits it a certain way.

Two female Northern Bobwhites (aka Quail) in a symmetrical pose as they cross a branch while foraging. What I really like about the shot is how it clearly shows their plumage is very well suited for camouflage in this environment. Taken at F/6.3, 1/2000 sec. ISO 1000, EV -0.67 using 40D and Sigma 500/4.5.:

A nice pose, but I cropped this a bit because of the damn cow poop... there was poop all around them... dammit...

For last, some male Gobblers (aka Wild Turkey) - a nice set of feathers and butts... Taken with the K20D + FA* 300/2.8, F/5.0, 1/500 sec., ISO 800:

Nice pair...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-23-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Views: 2,713
08-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #16
Inactive Account

I'd be very pleased with such "missed" shots.

I'm really enjoying your posts, thanks for the tips and explanations they are really helping me learn.

08-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Marc: Thanks for the smiles! And you have to say that that third shot is a real turkey of a shot!
The second shot has gotten my imagination working a bit, I can imagine a conversation between two quail. "Oh no! HAWK! Quick! to the cow flops! to the cow flops!"
and the hawk's answer "Oh damn! lost them again! Stupid cow flops!"
Is it true that when the cow "organic" is flying the quail are happy?

I've always liked boat-tailed grakles, anything with a "boat" in their name can't be all bad even when they are missing feet!

BTW I always enjoy your images, and your advice is always appreciated! Thank you!

NaCl(It's good to smile)H2O
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your expertise. Am trying to learn to capture wildlife and every little bit helps.
Love the turkey butts but that grackle is stunning.
My honor and I agree - the colors on these birds is almost mesmerizing!

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
hahahaha... those mistakes likely rare to you are a too common an occurrence to me... I have Shiba Inus... they're a breed that have up-turned tails. I do try hard to avoid photos of them turned away...
You should see the Greater Roadrunners do it, then wag their tails at one another - it's a real treat!!!

Cheers,
Marc
08-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are some cute.. bums.

08-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Heh heh. I'm a professional at bee, butterfly, bird, animal butts. It seems that I'm more often than not, too slow on the draw and end up with the tail end. Too bad my tail shots are not as pretty as your turkey rears, or I'd be in great shape. lol That really is a cool shot Marc.
Thanks LaRee for the comments!

Bummer about your job....

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Very nice shots again Marc. I take it the grackle is complaining about the amputation by the way it's mouth is open.

I can't see any quail.

The turkeys asses are classic. I'd love to see some playing cards PP'd onto those tail feathers.

Gary
Thanks Gary - you must look carefully, very carefully for those Quail...

Let me know about the playing cards - we'll do a business arrangement!!!

Cheers,
Marc
08-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I would be more than pleased had I taken your "misses." Thanks for sharing more of your great work!

btw... love that third shot!
Great comedy perhaps...

Glad you enjoyed them Hamid!

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
I'd be very pleased with such "missed" shots.

I'm really enjoying your posts, thanks for the tips and explanations they are really helping me learn.
Scott, you are most welcome and I am glad to help out!

Regards,
Marc
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I especially like the fun last photo in series!

08-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Impressive Iso work, and very fine pictures
08-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Marc: Thanks for the smiles! And you have to say that that third shot is a real turkey of a shot!
The second shot has gotten my imagination working a bit, I can imagine a conversation between two quail. "Oh no! HAWK! Quick! to the cow flops! to the cow flops!"
and the hawk's answer "Oh damn! lost them again! Stupid cow flops!"
Is it true that when the cow "organic" is flying the quail are happy?

I've always liked boat-tailed grakles, anything with a "boat" in their name can't be all bad even when they are missing feet!

BTW I always enjoy your images, and your advice is always appreciated! Thank you!

NaCl(It's good to smile)H2O
LOL... I like your commentary. You are most welcome Salty...

BTW, a couple of tips on identification - this is a Great Tailed (GT) Grackle:
  1. larger, yet very similar in appearance to it's cousin
  2. a little darker than Boat Tailed (BT) Grackle
  3. the iris on the GT Grackle is paler, not as dark or dull as the BT Grackle
  4. the BT Grackle range is not normally this far south - usually not further south than the Corpus Christi area of the Coastal Bend region in Texas.
I had identified them via a quick glance through the Nat. Geo. guide and Sibley's guide prior to ever posting them. I went back and double checked everything in my Sibley's guide just to be sure before posting this.

Regards,
Marc