Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Offroad Trip
Posted By: cloughstuff, 09-28-2017, 11:02 AM

I got back over a week ago from an off-road trip where I was the photographer for the vehicles. We started in Grand Junction CO and took dirt roads to Moab UT hitting trails along the way. Pentax K-50, DA 35mm and Rokinon 14mm

Views: 874
09-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, must have been quite an experience! Great photos
09-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
nice.
i will get the jeep out to moab one of these days......
09-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Wow, must have been quite an experience! Great photos
Thank you! It was a great experience

---------- Post added 09-28-17 at 03:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
nice.
i will get the jeep out to moab one of these days......
If you have a jeep, moab is a must!

09-28-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Great pix of the off road Jeep trek. A question...what happens if a member of the Jeep club, breaks an important component and can't move forward, backward, etc.

How do you retrieve an irretrievably broken down Jeep out of the middle of nowhere ? I know many a jeepster is resourceful and can count on the help and resources of other jeep guys out there...but even if any of your Jeep's ...as Rolls-Royce...used to say...our cars don't break down, they just occasionally fail to proceed....what's plan B to get the broken wrangler out from the myriad of trails and back to civilization where it can be mended ?
09-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great pix of the off road Jeep trek. A question...what happens if a member of the Jeep club, breaks an important component and can't move forward, backward, etc.

How do you retrieve an irretrievably broken down Jeep out of the middle of nowhere ? I know many a jeepster is resourceful and can count on the help and resources of other jeep guys out there...but even if any of your Jeep's ...as Rolls-Royce...used to say...our cars don't break down, they just occasionally fail to proceed....what's plan B to get the broken wrangler out from the myriad of trails and back to civilization where it can be mended ?
Great question! it is very rare that (worst case scenario) your jeep cannot even roll forward or backwards, even not on it's on power. I have been on trail rides where jeeps fail to move themselves with a broken component somewhere in the drivetrain, but they still roll. So another jeep tows them out. Most of the time, you have a good idea of potential failures on your vehicle, and you carry enough spare parts and tools that you can repair the vehicle on the trail. I've also done this. On a 3 day trail ride a few years ago one rig broke like 20 minutes into the trail and we had to spend a few hours fixing it, and then off we went. Sometimes where a more critical component fails that doesn't allow your jeep to roll things can get interesting. Removing pieces of the drivetrain so the vehicle can at least be towed, or if something like a welded piece of the suspension breaks off you can get pretty creative with ratchet straps and bungee cords, which I have also done. Some people carry portable welders or welding rods that can be used in conjunction with battery cables and a car battery in order to get a trail repair completed that is sufficient to get home. I've never been on a ride where we didn't get all the vehicles home. Even if we have to abandon it for a few hours and make a tool/parts run, we go back to retrieve the vehicle and get it home.

---------- Post added 09-29-17 at 12:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

oh and on this trip we did not have any major mechanical failures. all jeeps drove on their own power home. some had some issues on the trip but were all quickly remedied
09-29-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cloughstuff Quote
Thank you! It was a great experience

---------- Post added 09-28-17 at 03:49 PM ----------

If you have a jeep, moab is a must!
yeah, i know. it's definitely on the list. We don't have any wheeling like that out here, ours is more woods, rocks and mud. (i hate mud)

09-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a wonderful series! Each shot is outstanding.

Jer
09-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series of shots. I had fun just LOOKING!
09-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like it was a blast! My only experience in tough trail was in a Humvee in slimy wet mud on the side of a mountain. This had to be more fun.