Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Turkey Day in the Park
Lens: DFA 28-105. DA*200 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: normhead, 10-09-2017, 07:40 AM

With the colours at 90% of peak and a long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) , the park was full of people....

Parking lots at hiking trails were full and overflowing....






Canoe lake was as busy as I've ever seen it....




At Brewer lake





Views: 796
10-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian
RoxnDox's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gig Harbor, Washington, USA, Terra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,272
Beautiful day, beautiful colors, and lots of turkeys
10-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Tako Kichi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ontario, Canada (ex-pat Brit)
Posts: 1,227
Beautiful shots Norm. Down here the leaves are only just starting to turn but we have other issues to deal with rather than leaves at the moment.

That windstorm that came through on Saturday night split a large bough on the maple tree in our front yard resulting in two limbs lying across the roof of our house! Thankfully not much damage was done (just a few shingles missing from what we can see so far) but the limbs are still lying across the roof and remain partially attached to the tree.

Ever tried to get hold of a tree surgeon on Thanksgiving weekend?!

We called one local guy on Sunday morning who said he'd come over to look at it that afternoon but never showed up. There's no hope of getting anyone today (Monday, the official Thanksgiving Day for Canada) so we will have to try tomorrow. I just hope the wind doesn't pick up again because if the tree starts to move around it could well break the remaining strands holding the limbs and their position on the roof means they would pivot on the roof edge and end up going through my daughter's bedroom window!
10-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,246
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Beautiful day, beautiful colors, and lots of turkeys
A lot of these people were new Canadians, and clearly not into the Turkey dinner thing, or they would have been home cooking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Beautiful shots Norm. Down here the leaves are only just starting to turn but we have other issues to deal with rather than leaves at the moment.

That windstorm that came through on Saturday night split a large bough on the maple tree in our front yard resulting in two limbs lying across the roof of our house! Thankfully not much damage was done (just a few shingles missing from what we can see so far) but the limbs are still lying across the roof and remain partially attached to the tree.

Ever tried to get hold of a tree surgeon on Thanksgiving weekend?!

We called one local guy on Sunday morning who said he'd come over to look at it that afternoon but never showed up. There's no hope of getting anyone today (Monday, the official Thanksgiving Day for Canada) so we will have to try tomorrow. I just hope the wind doesn't pick up again because if the tree starts to move around it could well break the remaining strands holding the limbs and their position on the roof means they would pivot on the roof edge and end up going through my daughter's bedroom window!
We have quite a few trees down here behind our house, but so far we are off the hook interns of damage.

10-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
NS_Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 946
Yes Beautiful shots Norm


QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Beautiful shots Norm. Down here the leaves are only just starting to turn but we have other issues to deal with rather than leaves at the moment.

That windstorm that came through on Saturday night split a large bough on the maple tree in our front yard resulting in two limbs lying across the roof of our house! Thankfully not much damage was done (just a few shingles missing from what we can see so far) but the limbs are still lying across the roof and remain partially attached to the tree.

Ever tried to get hold of a tree surgeon on Thanksgiving weekend?!

We called one local guy on Sunday morning who said he'd come over to look at it that afternoon but never showed up. There's no hope of getting anyone today (Monday, the official Thanksgiving Day for Canada) so we will have to try tomorrow. I just hope the wind doesn't pick up again because if the tree starts to move around it could well break the remaining strands holding the limbs and their position on the roof means they would pivot on the roof edge and end up going through my daughter's bedroom window!
Down here especially in Sydney it was a much different scene. Remember Last Thanksgiving Sydney was hit with over 220 mm of Rain in under 6 hours causing catastrophic flooding and this year it was Sunny and 25 deg. C
10-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 463
Holy crap Norm, the park looks packed! Happy Thanksgiving! Looks like the colors have really turned on over the past couple weeks.
10-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,246
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Holy crap Norm, the park looks packed! Happy Thanksgiving! Looks like the colors have really turned on over the past couple weeks.
They just waited for you guys to leave.... the colours have been better. not the best year ever but far from the worst.

Last edited by normhead; 10-13-2017 at 07:39 AM.
10-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
New Member
cowlitzJim's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cowlitz county, Washington state USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6
The west coast is still one tree at a time. Nice viewing you have there!

10-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 37,246
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cowlitzJim Quote
The west coast is still one tree at a time. Nice viewing you have there!
We live in a great place.... but the west coast has it's attractions as well.
06-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #10
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,333
Pictures 4, 5, and 7 really work with your theme
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flickr, head, lake, norm, park, photo, turkey day
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Turkey Vulture csa Post Your Photos! 2 09-26-2017 05:16 PM
Architecture Some more photos of Turkey Kuzma Post Your Photos! 3 05-30-2016 07:06 PM
Hello from Turkey! Flying_Hero Welcomes and Introductions 4 10-25-2015 08:23 AM
Happy Turkey Day Recipe Fl_Gulfer General Talk 3 11-24-2009 12:28 AM
Turkey Day portraits hamidlmt Post Your Photos! 14 12-01-2008 04:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top