Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Native Bee pollinating Deane's Boronia
Lens: F100/2.8 + x2 adapter Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Newnes Plateau ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F28 
Posted By: Wild Mark, 10-10-2017, 02:43 AM

While working in peat swamps I came across the threatened plant Boronia deanei in flower. Camera gear at hand I decided to take a few library shots. Out of the blue comes this native bee. BONUS.

Photo taken with Pentax 080C ringflash with Pentax X2 close up lens. I love this combo.

Be might be Lasioglossum parasphecodes hiltacum

Last edited by Wild Mark; 10-10-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Views: 624
10-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful macro of a bee that I'll never see in real life. thanks for posting it.
10-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That red abdomen I think marks it as a Sphecodes bee. Those are kleptoparasitic on a few different groups. Add to Bug Guide, they'll let you know. That image is great, even better than mine from this summer.

[IMG][/IMG]
10-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice !!!!

10-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot. But could you post a pic of the plant too. Newnes Plateau looks like a great place for some walking (Googled it) and you never know when I might bump into such a thing.
10-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really great photography here. I am amazed at the colors, sharpness and outstanding use of light, natural or other.

thanks,

TT
10-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very colourful Bee and a well detailed shot.
10-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I haven't got a picture of the plant, somewhat non-descript really (excluding the flower). But, when it flowers on mass, it is quite a sight. The plant, Boronia deanei, grows at the margins of Temperate Highland Peat Swamp on Sandstone - a rather beautiful kind of swamp with lots of very interesting ecology. The swamps occur in the valleys where creeks would ordinarily be. The valley invert is 'filled' with peat on which the swamp occurs (and is restricted to).

With regards to colours and sharpness, everything is as is from the camera. The F100/2.8 macro is a very special lens - it has a pixie dust magic to it. The X2 close up lens specifically designed for this lens (and the FA100/2.8) sits in front of the lens nested within the proprietary ring flash (using a specific adapter). It has taken me years to assemble this gear and I cannot believe just how good it is. If you can get this gear then I thoroughly recommend.

---------- Post added 11-10-17 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That red abdomen I think marks it as a Sphecodes bee. Those are kleptoparasitic on a few different groups. Add to Bug Guide, they'll let you know. That image is great, even better than mine from this summer.
Yeah, okay. I am not at all good at invertebrate taxonomy so my limited google work is what it is. The location where this bee was photographed is very remote so it is fair to assume it is a native species.

---------- Post added 11-10-17 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Great shot. But could you post a pic of the plant too. Newnes Plateau looks like a great place for some walking (Googled it) and you never know when I might bump into such a thing.
Here is a link to a scientific paper on the swamps in question. If you can tolerate the dry language you will find plenty of very interesting stuff.

Vegetation, fauna and groundwater interrelations in low nutrient temperate montane peat swamps in the upper Blue Mountains, New South Wales

10-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Stunning capture...well done.