Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  
Dimly Lit Kirks
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 10-19-2017, 02:45 PM

A truly awesome level of detail capture is possible with a K1.
Views: 1,547
10-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice detail....would love to have a K1...have you printed any of your pics A3 or bigger.

10-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Let's see, the group was composed of two Scots (one a lowlander, the other a highlander) , an Englishman from Bristol, my grandfather himself, who had come from Northern Ireland and one older guy who had immigrated from Germany in the 1930's. Almost forgot there was also an old American
I hope you managed to document some of the rare tales that you heard, there's a book in the making there somewhere.
10-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's one thing I never had access to growing up. Old guys sitting around telling stories.
You and me both.
10-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Nice detail...
Thanks.

would love to have a K1...
So what exactly is holding you back?...

have you printed any of your pics A3 or bigger.
And bigger... stunning results and even on a iMac 27" screen they look pretty good.

10-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You and me both.
I hope you managed to document some of the rare tales that you heard, there's a book in the making there somewhere.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's one thing I never had access to growing up. Old guys sitting around telling stories.

I was a lucky young fellow. I just stood and/or sat there....listening to them. They were all very nice old guys. The American oldster had been a racing mechanic in his early career and had actually been on the pit crew of a driver at one of the earlier Indy 500's. I remember looking at his scrapbook and there he was in an Indianapolis newspaper picture identified as a mechanic with a racing driver and the rest of the crew.

The racer he crewed for, was Louis Chevrolet...that Louis Chevrolet. I remember asking my dad about that and he filled me in on who Louis Chevrolet was.

As most of the group were old British men, I got the hang of their differing Brit accents.

Fast forward, to the the '70's my wife and I were on a train from Edinburgh to London during a bank holiday. We were in the same train car with two single male Brits. One was from Glasgow, the other from Birmingham. The four of us had a good discussion throughout the night. The two Brits had trouble understanding each other...due to their different accents. I acted as an interpreter every so often. The Glaswegian finally mentioned wasn't it interesting that two Brits had difficulty understanding each other, but a Canadian from thousands of miles away could act as an interpreter between the two.
10-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was a lucky young fellow
You need to get these tales properly documented, before they get lost in the mists of time and forgotten.
10-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

You need to get these tales properly documented, before they get lost in the mists of time and forgotten.
Good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that. Probably should for my kids. Social history is an important thing to pass down through the generations of a family.

I used to write down the funny things they said as little kids. I'm keeping these little stories to entertain others at my children's weddings. Some say, I have a cruel streak .

10-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Probably should for my kids. Social history is an important thing to pass down through the generations of a family.
Aye should as it was your Grandfather, so it's family history too.
06-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was a young "lad" we had a Scot-Irish Presbyterian pastor who referred to our place of worship as a "kirk" - it was slightly larger than this appears, but not nearly so ornate. You did very well in finding this beautiful place and then recording it.
06-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You did very well in finding this beautiful place and then recording it.
Thank you, a K1 and a "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8), propped up on a pile of local prayer books.
07-27-2018, 04:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

A truly awesome level of detail capture is possible with a K1.
I believe you.
07-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I believe you.
It’s surprised me on occasion.