Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Back Street Tailor
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 10-21-2017, 10:09 AM

It was so dark in there (shot @ 2500 ISO) I don't know how he could see to sew.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,418
10-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That image says a lot about the man and how he's worked for a long time. It's also clear that he's gotten his money's worth out of that sewing machine. Chances are if someone offered him a brand-new replacement, he'd turn it down without a pico-second of thought.
10-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That image says a lot about the man and how he's worked for a long time
I watched him work for a while, pointed at my camera and him, asking his permission in advance, which is not something I often do. But with this man, I felt he deserved that respect. I was entering into his workplace (not physically, but through an open door) of many years, if only for a brief moment in time.
10-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Good job Kerrowdown...couldn't have been an easy capture.

10-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Good job Kerrowdown
Thank you.
10-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's an impressive picture just from a technical standpoint, but the "lived-in-life" you capture has a lot of soul. (I bet it would take a monochrome treatment nicely as well.)
10-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's an impressive picture just from a technical standpoint
I must admit I was quite happy with the result, not as tack sharp as I would have liked, but “Gorgeous Lady” (Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED), hand held at 1/50s (0.020), it's not to shabby.

but the "lived-in-life" you capture has a lot of soul
It was the feel that appealed to me when i first saw him, I glad you feel I managed to capture it.

(I bet it would take a monochrome treatment nicely as well.)
Not tried that yet, one for later perhaps.

10-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's also clear that he's gotten his money's worth out of that sewing machine. Chances are if someone offered him a brand-new replacement, he'd turn it down without a pico-second of thought.
That old sewing machine (and it is many years old...pre 1950's I would say) would probably still outlast a modern version by many years. I frequently used a sewing machine when making the large kites I used to design and build (my 'handle' is Japanese for 'kite crazy') and I would take an old machine over a new one any day. We have four here (not all currently working unfortunately) the newest of which was built in the 1980's, the oldest dates from the early 1950's and it still sews like the day it was built and it formerly belonged to my wife's late grandmother.
10-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
That old sewing machine (and it is many years old...pre 1950's I would say)
Interesting, it was still working away fine the day I saw it in action.
06-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

That image says a lot about the man and how he's worked for a long time. It's also clear that he's gotten his money's worth out of that sewing machine. Chances are if someone offered him a brand-new replacement, he'd turn it down without a pico-second of thought.
You mean he's not waiting with baited breath for the successor so he complain about its features???
06-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You mean he's not waiting with baited breath for the successor so he complain about its features???
The old phrase... "A bad workman always blames his tools" springs to mind.
06-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Of course! The new machine has no way to connect directly to the internet for automatic upgrades.
06-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Of course! The new machine has no way to connect directly to the internet for automatic upgrades
Wot no app for that?

That said... I've now got a washing machine that "phones home" when it's not a happy bunny.
06-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Wot no app for that?

That said... I've now got a washing machine that "phones home" when it's not a happy bunny.
For all I've heard about modern kitchen & washrooms appliances - - automatic updates, showing what's inside via wireless connection to your i-phone, capable of hearing you talk and ordering supplies automatically from the super market, transmitting what you say and when you are home to any criminal hacker - - I am more and more certain that our current set of appliances will remain right where they are until M & I both leave the house horizontally.
06-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I was looking at the photo again as the thread has been resurrected and noticed something I totally missed the first time around. Did you flip the image horizontally KD as that sewing machine looks 'reversed' to me? It's as if you were looking at it in a mirror as key features of the machine are 180° out of position. The only other explanation would be that it was a 'left handed' machine and I have never seen one of those in over 50 years of being around sewing machines of one form or another and I do not know of one ever being built that way around.