Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
25 Likes  #1
K-1 does Northern Lights
Lens: Samyang 24mm Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Finnmark, Norway ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 5s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: Fries, 10-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Got lucky in Northern Norway on a 7 day's hike with lots of Northern Lights in the sky. It was my first time so late in the year and it was freezing a little bit at night. The last part of the trip I stayed in a mountain cabin but most nights I was glad I bought a better sleeping bag with only some tent fabric between me and the weather.

Cheers,

Remco

3. The evening before I started my hike, this happened

4. With tent.

5. With tree

Views: 2,956
10-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Always hoped to get images like these...sometimes they can be seen as far South as Northern England in the UK but mostly cloud cover blots them out where I am...you must be well pleased with these results Fries.
10-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Beautiful shots. Must be amazing standing there seeing them in person.
10-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Truly amazing. Thanks for sharing.

10-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

wOW, Just Wow. Excellent images.

Going somewhere like this to get these is on my bucket list.

thanks for sharing
10-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice!
10-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome. Just awesome.

- Craig

10-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wonderful images.
10-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Northern Lights are definitely on my bucket list. Your shots are beautifully done. Amazing colors.
10-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do believe you got the most out of your efforts. This series is really amazing. Thank you!!
10-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spectacular! Thanks!
10-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really enjoyed viewing these shots. The visible details of the terrain add a valuable context to the images.
10-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Always hoped to get images like these...sometimes they can be seen as far South as Northern England in the UK but mostly cloud cover blots them out where I am...you must be well pleased with these results Fries.
Thanks! Once some years ago I witnessed the Northern Lights in march near Finland in Northern Norway. But that wasn't as strong as what I witnessed this trip. It can be seen very occasionally on our northern coast but that is faint glow compared with the 'the real thing'. Four years ago a good friend of mine in Northern Norway shared a beautiful Northern Lights picture on Facebook taken in september. Since then I took time off every september to travel to Norway. It seemed a good excuse for another trip. But it never came to fruition because I spend to much on my summer holiday in the same area. So this year I traded my summer holiday for a autumn holiday and it worked brilliantly! So yes, I am chuffed.

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Wow. Beautiful shots. Must be amazing standing there seeing them in person.
It was! The camera sensor is better at seeing it, but it was strong enough to see it with the naked eye and it traveled surprisingly fast trough the sky. I had to force my self no to take pictures from time to time just to enjoy it not only as a photo opportunity but as a stunning display in one of the rare wild places left in Europe.

QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
Truly amazing. Thanks for sharing.
You are very welcome and thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
wOW, Just Wow. Excellent images.

Going somewhere like this to get these is on my bucket list.

thanks for sharing
Thanks! Yet I am not totally satisfied. The left side of the photo is somewhat less sharp... Perhaps the lens is not totally ok combined with less than optimal focussing by me. I do have one photo with even sharpness across the frame, so it can be done!
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Very nice!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Awesome. Just awesome.

- Craig
Craig, thank you! Of the seven day's spent in the mountains I've witnessed the Northern Lights on four evenings. I was very lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Wonderful images.
Thanks Susan! Glad you enjoyed them.

QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Northern Lights are definitely on my bucket list. Your shots are beautifully done. Amazing colors.
Thanks! I hope you get the opportunity to see it. It can be quite subtle to. Like this:

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
I do believe you got the most out of your efforts. This series is really amazing. Thank you!!
Thanks! And yes, this does compensates in a very fulfilling way for lugging a backpack with clothes, food, tent and supplies (and a K-1 with two lenses) up into the mountains.

QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Spectacular! Thanks!
Thanks! My bucket list is a bit shorter now.

Cheers,

Remco
10-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolute wonderful images, thank you. Reminds me of our YUKON years when we stood outside just in awe of the lights, sometimes in -40º C and never minded the cold.
10-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Absolute wonderful images, thank you. Reminds me of our YUKON years when we stood outside just in awe of the lights, sometimes in -40º C and never minded the cold.
Thanks Heinrich! Glad it wasn't that cold where I was. And I can imagine the lights having that effect.