Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
First shots with my first camera!
Lens: Pentax 18-135 & 70-300 Camera: K3 
Posted By: Wildbearfeet, 10-24-2017, 05:13 AM

I have taken over 500 photos in 3 days, I pulled out about 50 of the better ones.

Mind you, I do not know how to use the camera yet so I was taking a lot of photos and adjusting the ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture on the same subject until I found what worked. Sort of haha
I barely know what these settings mean so I have a lot of reading to do and learning to do!
but I wanted to share my first experience with everyone

Trisha Pitcher | Flickr

Should be public

basically they are out of focus, grainy, too dark or too light haha
Views: 545
10-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 29,351
I just set the camera to AV. Then I just select aperture and ISO and let it do the shutter speed.
There are some instances where you want TV or TaV but most of the time AV works great.

Grainy= your ISO is too high. On a K-3 you want to try and keep it under 640 ISO. 800 or 1600 ISO in a stretch, but not higher than that.

Out of focus.- use single point focus, make sure the square is on the point you want in focus before pressing the shutter release.

Too bright or too dark, you need some post processing software to adjust those things.

Looks like you've been having a blast.
10-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just set the camera to AV. Then I just select aperture and ISO and let it do the shutter speed.
There are some instances where you want TV or TaV but most of the time AV works great.

Grainy= your ISO is too high. On a K-3 you want to try and keep it under 640 ISO. 800 or 1600 ISO in a stretch, but not higher than that.

Out of focus.- use single point focus, make sure the square is on the point you want in focus before pressing the shutter release.

Too bright or too dark, you need some post processing software to adjust those things.

Looks like you've been having a blast.

my iso goes from 400-800-1600 ...where is that 640? or anywhere inbetween 400 and 800 haha
and I am trying to find focal points...i only see one tiny red square when I take a picture
I just downloaded lightroom but boy am I awful at it

and I was just using the M on the setting so I will give the AV a shot!
10-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,310
A wide and varied set of interesting shots.

10-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 532
Luna has a man killer look!
Nice pics!
10-25-2017, 02:29 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,170
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
I have taken over 500 photos in 3 days, I pulled out about 50 of the better ones.

Mind you, I do not know how to use the camera yet so I was taking a lot of photos and adjusting the ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture on the same subject until I found what worked. Sort of haha
I barely know what these settings mean so I have a lot of reading to do and learning to do!
but I wanted to share my first experience with everyone . . .


not a bad way to learn if you can remember the settings that works

another way to learn is to learn from the experiences of others, whether you read about them or are told about them like normhead did in the first response

the key though, imho, ymmv

is to practice, practice and practice

in other words, take lots of photos and experiment as you do so

remember it is your decision as to what you like

glad you are having fun

thanks for sharing
10-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 29,351
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
my iso goes from 400-800-1600 ...where is that 640? or anywhere inbetween 400 and 800 haha
and I am trying to find focal points...i only see one tiny red square when I take a picture
I just downloaded lightroom but boy am I awful at it

and I was just using the M on the setting so I will give the AV a shot!
You need to get into the menus. There is a menu item that will let you select half stop or 1/3 stop ISO setting. I/3 is pretty crucial. I find 2/3 of a stop adjustments works best for me. Also have you histogram turned on on you back screen so you can check your exposure after each image is taken.

WHen you are using AV mode you will be able to set your ISO to 100, that should be your base setting, only turning the ISO up when you run out of light. That will get rid of the noise (grain).

Lightroom or any PP software takes a while. But once you get the hang of it. it's second nature.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, haha, lot, photo, photos
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First lens for my first FF camera, on a somewhat "tight" budget. laTimo Pentax K-1 57 04-14-2016 06:47 AM
Misc First shots with my first film SLR, Pentax MX and M 50 1.7 LeDave Post Your Photos! 6 10-06-2012 05:18 PM
Misc Started a 365 with my first shots from my first DSLR. Sagitta Post Your Photos! 6 02-18-2011 10:34 PM
Macro My first few shots with a DSLR camera Wihl Post Your Photos! 4 09-27-2010 09:49 PM
Black & White My first shots with film camera Karoliz Post Your Photos! 3 02-06-2010 03:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top