Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Some Birefringent Ice
Lens: DFA100mm Camera: K5iis Photo Location: A Very Cold Porch ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: BrianR, 10-29-2017, 09:09 PM

I've been playing around with the birefringent property of ice the past couple winters (we have cold here, I may as well use it!). In a nutshell, "birefringent" means it does wacky things when placed between crossed-polarizers - when backlit with polarized light (I use an LCD screen displaying white) and with a polarizer on camera, funky colours pop out. The results are mostly abstract, but I find the colours compelling and have spent hours searching through small pieces of ice for interesting scenes or shapes (I also have free time in the winter).

I spent the past couple weeks preparing some prints for a little gallery space in the back of a local camera store, so I've been going through my past season's efforts. This first one is a panorama of 5 images stitched together, it looked like a mini-stadium (to me at least!). I didn't end up printing this one because I'm pretty cheap and kept everything the same size & ratio (you can click it for a wider view on Flickr):

This next one was a piece of ice found on the top of a slow moving river (you know, that razor thin easy-to-crack layer that forms first). Few people I've shown it to dispute that it looks like a mini-hummingbird. Maybe a mini-hummingbird during a bad acid trip, but still a mini-hummingbird. This one did get printed on epson glossy metallic. The metallic does a good job bringing out the colours, but it's never with the vibrance of seeing the thing in person while I was photographing it:

Thanks for looking!
Views: 885
10-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Photo Location: A Very Cold Porch"

Love 'em!
10-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Great images Brian, I hope they do well at the gallery for you buddy.
10-30-2017, 02:59 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very creative, and very beautiful, Brian. These would make fantastic wall art

10-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The more I look at them the more I like them. Indeed, "Very Creative"
10-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Would make amazing background on computer screen....good work BrianR.
10-30-2017, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! If anyone is interested, I do have more on my website as well as a few details on how they're made and a few pretty sad forays into the world of timelapses... Birefringence – Brian Robin

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
"Photo Location: A Very Cold Porch"
One tries to be accurate

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Great images Brian, I hope they do well at the gallery for you buddy.
Cheers! I've no expectations to sell anything in these small spaces, but the odd one does go. In any case, the experience of printing, mounting and framing is always great

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very creative, and very beautiful, Brian. These would make fantastic wall art
Thank you Mike! They definitely brightened up my working space while I was getting things ready!

QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
The more I look at them the more I like them. Indeed, "Very Creative"
Thanks so much

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Would make amazing background on computer screen....good work BrianR.
This I have done