Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
A seven day autumn hike with a tent, one camera and two lenses
Lens: Samyang 24mm, DA*300mm Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Finnmark, Norway 
Posted By: Fries, 10-30-2017, 05:13 PM

I've already shown some photo's of the Northern Lights I encountered but I also tried to get some good shots during daylight hours! Whilst they undoubtedly are far less spectacular I hope they do convey somewhat of the beauty of a landscape in full autumn dress. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Remco

1. My tent mimicking the mountain Vuorje after a cold night which resulted in some ice forming in the small kettle in front. (What is rattling around in there, I wondered when I picked it up.)

2. The 'electrical fence'. Local reindeer herders repurposed these old electrical poles. It is a bit of rough fit, but it works.

3. Two photo panorama at a river crossing. My boots where just hight enough to keep the water out.

4. Close up of the rocks on the hillside in the picture above.

5. If the weather wasn't good there was fog and lots of it. But it does at to the atmosphere of the place.

6. Foggy clouds over the land

7. From afar the same mountains you can see in the third photo. A two photo stack to increase the depth of field a bit.

8. Lunch break during the last day of hiking.

Views: 851
10-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice images! Thank you for sharing. Reminds me of the Finnish Lapland... in summer.
10-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating landscape - thanks for sharing. Interesting use of old utility poles, and wonderful fog scenes. Favorite for me is the first pano shot - very nicely done!
10-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Nice images! Thank you for sharing. Reminds me of the Finnish Lapland... in summer.
Thank you! And you ar right. The difference between summer and autumn can be surprisingly small. This tent once survived windforce 10...in the summer! But I there are two differences; the temperatures are a bit lower and keeping the tent and everything in it dry is more of a challenge.

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Fascinating landscape - thanks for sharing. Interesting use of old utility poles, and wonderful fog scenes. Favorite for me is the first pano shot - very nicely done!
Thank you! I've been hiking and fishing in this province for about 20 years now and it kind of feels like a second home to me.

11-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Thank you! And you ar right. The difference between summer and autumn can be surprisingly small. This tent once survived windforce 10...in the summer! But I there are two differences; the temperatures are a bit lower and keeping the tent and everything in it dry is more of a challenge.

Thank you! I've been hiking and fishing in this province for about 20 years now and it kind of feels like a second home to me.
Great series from the northern part of my country Fries.
11-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That two shot pano of the river crossing is stunning.
11-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A seven day autumn hike with a tent, one camera and two lenses
And two bottles of fine Malt Whisky of your choice, to keep out the cold.
11-05-2017, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Great series from the northern part of my country Fries.
Glad you liked it, thanks! If possible I will be back next year in the summer fly fishing for ørret (trout) and possibly røya (char). Perhaps if I have enough funds I'll try for some salmon in small rivers.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That two shot pano of the river crossing is stunning.
Thanks! I have another one. A three shot pano of the same mountain&lake.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
And two bottles of fine Malt Whisky of your choice, to keep out the cold.
Before the trip I was eyeballing some mini bottles of scotch back home trying to decide if I should take them with me. I decided against it. Alone in the wilderness and being somewhat tipsy can be somewhat dangerous. And I had a new sleeping bag with me capable of handling -17 Celsius!

Last edited by Fries; 11-06-2017 at 01:02 PM.
11-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series, especially the panorama. Love the earth colours of the terrain.
11-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice series. I always admire someone who goes tent camping in the wilderness. The pano is my favorite also with the 5th image of the fog a close second.
11-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozwald Quote
Nice series, especially the panorama. Love the earth colours of the terrain.
Wally, thanks! In the summer it is bit more green.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice series. I always admire someone who goes tent camping in the wilderness. The pano is my favorite also with the 5th image of the fog a close second.
Thanks Susan! I have been brought up camping with my parents. My dad and I tried camping in the wilderness together for the first time when I was 16 years old on a three day hike above the Arctic circle. I am still grateful for that trip because it opened my eyes for the joy's of hiking and camping beyond the 'civilized world'. Lots of friends and colleagues back home think it is a dangerous and rather uncomfortable thing to do. And it is not. (I will admit it can be a bit uncomfortable at times.) Before agriculture we people were nomads, hunter gatherers. We are build to travel on our two feet! I really feel alive doing this... And it is, or use to be, a integral part of Norwegian society; to go into the mountains and have a good time. Although I am a bit flattered by your admiration for anyone camping in the wilderness I have to be honest and say that there really isn't that much to it. Anyone with a decent physique and average amount of determination can do it.

(Sorry for the long answer...)
11-07-2017, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

(Sorry for the long answer...)
No need to apologize, I enjoyed your response. I just wish I had been introduced to those joys when I was a kid. My admiration remains.
11-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
No need to apologize, I enjoyed your response. I just wish I had been introduced to those joys when I was a kid. My admiration remains.
Thanks Susan. Appreciated.