Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
"Bug" Watchers
Lens: FA 100 Macro, Adaptall 90 (plus 2X TC) , others Camera: K 5 II S Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 10-30-2017, 06:36 PM

One of the most pleasurable parts of my job is sharing nature discovery with young people. They are capable of such intense concentration, and notice so much about even the "common and ordinary" things. So here are some childrens' random "ordinary" discoveries from the past few months…

Many butterflies enjoy a snack of salt and other minerals. This Eastern Tailed Blue was licking a sweaty finger!

West Virginia White butterflies prefer Spring Beauty nectar:

While Pipevine Swallowtails visit Spring Larkspur for their snacks:

Here's another Pipevine Swallowtail working the Turk's Cap Lily blooms on Camp Creek Bald. You can see the pollen on his wing!

Oaks are prone to a disease called "slime flux." It's a bacterial infection of the sap. Some butterflies are attracted to the smelly ooze - like this Question Mark, just rolling up his tongue after licking the flux:

All I noticed was the Red Trillium, but the children noticed the arachnid visitor:

Speaking of arachnids, this one has caught a "delicious" Spreadwing damselfly. Once again, I would have walked right by, but the youngsters noticed it immediately:

We kept the children at a safe distance from this little lady! Mrs. Black Widow is in the midst of a Tent Caterpillar meal:

Here's one of our native mantids - the Carolina Mantid. She's just caught a rather "spicy" meal of bee!

Perhaps that's why this bee is sticking her tongue out! Or maybe she's just feasting on goldenrod nectar:

Here's another insect at the "goldenrod restaurant." Locust Longhorn Beetle larvae eat Black Locust tree bark. But the adults prefer pollen:

Look carefully at these fungi, and you'll see what the children spotted. Those dark "stripes" are snail tooth marks!

I am always amazed and humbled at the powers of observation of a small child. Hope you enjoyed these glimpses through their eyes, and that you'll share your critique!
Views: 995
10-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An excellent colourful and detailed series.
10-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm just glad I don't have to eat slime flux. Nicely captured macros.
10-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow .what a great series.

10-31-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
An excellent colourful and detailed series.
Thanks so much!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I'm just glad I don't have to eat slime flux. Nicely captured macros.
Slime flux smells even worse than it sounds - sort of decay and sour together...

QuoteOriginally posted by SJM Quote
Wow .what a great series.
Thanks!!
11-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Impressive series indeed Mole!
11-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #7

Great series, mole!

11-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice series. TFS.