Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A Comfortable Place . . . . . .
Camera: Panasonic LX100 Photo Location: Somewhere in Transylvania 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-30-2017, 08:28 PM

. . . . . . . to spend Halloween.

I haven't posted in some time. Partly because I took a breather from photography and focused on music but also because wife Connie, while riding her bike on October 9, was hit from behind by a pick-up truck. Her wounds were severe enough that the EMS guys drove her directly from the scene here in Lake Jackson 50 miles north to Memorial Hermann Level 1 Trauma Center in Houston's Texas Medical Center where she received emergency surgery when she arrived 40 minutes later (the Life Flight helicopter was 35 minutes away and would have taken longer than driving directly); during the trip and surgery she required 4 units of blood. She was discharged on October 14 but developed a staph infection and was readmitted on the 17th and had to undergo a series of procedures to deal with the problem. She was discharged a few days ago on the 28th. Fortunately, other than a "minor" fracture in her left arm, she suffered no broken bones nor - and this is key - did she suffer any head injuries (we wear helmets religiously when riding). She did lose some muscle in her left leg, but the docs tell us that she will return to "full functionality" when she heals, although she may have to adapt a bit. I'm praying her recovery will proceed without further issues. To top things off, her dad (at age 91) passed away while she was in the hospital - a blessing in that he was suffering from a number of maladies, but she is - of course - unable to attend his memorial service in Illinois.

Anyway, this is shot taken in June of the Gillette castle taken from a boat as we cruised the Connecticut River. I think it fits with Halloween.

Jer



Last edited by Sailor; 10-30-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Views: 781
10-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35,045
Is that the Castle Frankenstein was created in? Very eerie..
10-31-2017, 01:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian
AussieTrev's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,589
Can even see scary faces in the walls. Cool.
10-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,372
Jer, give Connie my love and hope for a speedy recovery. She is one lucky gal to have survived that accident without more serious damage. Glad you wear those helmets for sure.

11-01-2017, 06:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,711
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Is that the Castle Frankenstein was created in? Very eerie..
It's an amazing place - built either late in the 19th century or early 20th, the house was imagined by a man named Gillette (unrelated to the Gillettes of razor fame) who was an actor, screenwriter and inventor. His claim to fame (and fortune) is that he brought the character, Sherlock Holmes, to the stage and movie screen. We only saw the "castle" from afar during our trip in June, but we visited the place in 2016 - it's an amazing menagerie of goofy and clever ideas. I posted photos at the time.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Can even see scary faces in the walls. Cool.
Great, you noticed Trev. That's what struck me about the place when I first laid eyes on it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Jer, give Connie my love and hope for a speedy recovery. She is one lucky gal to have survived that accident without more serious damage. Glad you wear those helmets for sure.
Thanks much, Susan - means a lot.

Jer
11-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springe
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,129
Jer, so sorry to hear about Connie's accident! Hope she's recovering soon.
Please send her my best regards.
Take care, my friend!
11-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,381
What a cool B&W! Glad to hear that you wife is recovering well after the serious accident, wishing all the best.
11-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,711
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Jer, so sorry to hear about Connie's accident! Hope she's recovering soon.
Please send her my best regards.
Take care, my friend!
Hey Norbert - thanks much, buddy. She's on the mend, but it will be awhile before she's riding a bike again.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
What a cool B&W! Glad to hear that you wife is recovering well after the serious accident, wishing all the best.
Janse, thanks much - I appreciate the kind words.

Jer

11-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Dewman's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 5,369
Sailor, I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's accident. I was involved in a similar event when I was in my early 40's. God's Speed to her.... and you. I really like the photo. It's only fitting that it's in B&W.
11-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,711
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Sailor, I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's accident. I was involved in a similar event when I was in my early 40's. God's Speed to her.... and you. I really like the photo. It's only fitting that it's in B&W.
Thanks very much. It's been a tough time - but good to get back to thinking of photography!

Jer
07-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,913
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
. . . . . . . to spend Halloween.

I haven't posted in some time. Partly because I took a breather from photography and focused on music but also because wife Connie, while riding her bike on October 9, was hit from behind by a pick-up truck. Her wounds were severe enough that the EMS guys drove her directly from the scene here in Lake Jackson 50 miles north to Memorial Hermann Level 1 Trauma Center in Houston's Texas Medical Center where she received emergency surgery when she arrived 40 minutes later (the Life Flight helicopter was 35 minutes away and would have taken longer than driving directly); during the trip and surgery she required 4 units of blood. She was discharged on October 14 but developed a staph infection and was readmitted on the 17th and had to undergo a series of procedures to deal with the problem. She was discharged a few days ago on the 28th. Fortunately, other than a "minor" fracture in her left arm, she suffered no broken bones nor - and this is key - did she suffer any head injuries (we wear helmets religiously when riding). She did lose some muscle in her left leg, but the docs tell us that she will return to "full functionality" when she heals, although she may have to adapt a bit. I'm praying her recovery will proceed without further issues. To top things off, her dad (at age 91) passed away while she was in the hospital - a blessing in that he was suffering from a number of maladies, but she is - of course - unable to attend his memorial service in Illinois.

Anyway, this is shot taken in June of the Gillette castle taken from a boat as we cruised the Connecticut River. I think it fits with Halloween.

Jer

Nice darkness!
07-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,711
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Nice darkness!
Thanks. I wanted this one to be spooky.

Jer
07-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #13
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,186
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
. . . . . . . to spend Halloween.

I haven't posted in some time. Partly because I took a breather from photography and focused on music but also because wife Connie, while riding her bike on October 9, was hit from behind by a pick-up truck. Her wounds were severe enough that the EMS guys drove her directly from the scene here in Lake Jackson 50 miles north to Memorial Hermann Level 1 Trauma Center in Houston's Texas Medical Center where she received emergency surgery when she arrived 40 minutes later (the Life Flight helicopter was 35 minutes away and would have taken longer than driving directly); during the trip and surgery she required 4 units of blood. She was discharged on October 14 but developed a staph infection and was readmitted on the 17th and had to undergo a series of procedures to deal with the problem. She was discharged a few days ago on the 28th. Fortunately, other than a "minor" fracture in her left arm, she suffered no broken bones nor - and this is key - did she suffer any head injuries (we wear helmets religiously when riding). She did lose some muscle in her left leg, but the docs tell us that she will return to "full functionality" when she heals, although she may have to adapt a bit. I'm praying her recovery will proceed without further issues. To top things off, her dad (at age 91) passed away while she was in the hospital - a blessing in that he was suffering from a number of maladies, but she is - of course - unable to attend his memorial service in Illinois.

Anyway, this is shot taken in June of the Gillette castle taken from a boat as we cruised the Connecticut River. I think it fits with Halloween.

Jer

Was this taken from the boat that connects with the Essex Steam Train??
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, castle, center, halloween, minutes, october, photo, surgery
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maxium comfortable weight of kit when traveling Sean Hamilton General Photography 14 06-04-2016 04:39 PM
comfortable and safe camera strap Jool Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 20 01-12-2016 12:06 PM
Comfortable Camera Straps ASheffield Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 32 01-08-2013 06:28 AM
Discreet and comfortable camera shoulder bag FOR PRIMES! stillshunter Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 29 06-23-2011 06:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top