Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Old tractor
Lens: K 28mm 3.5 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: rural Saskatchewan ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: johnyates, 11-01-2017, 09:39 PM

I found this old relic on an old homestead along a back road--just after sunset. I'll have to go back one day in better light.

Views: 1,461
11-01-2017, 11:55 PM   #2

I think the light is rather nice. Great job!
11-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I also like the light...combined with your F stop ...makes that old Massey Harris pop. My wife and I spent some time today driving down Saskatchewan's sister province, Manitoba....on gravel back roads looking for old machinery. Nothing, nada....
11-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot. I think you captured it perfectly. I have the 28mm f3.5 lens also, one of my most favorite. Thanks for posting.

11-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the way you have captured the "patina" of rust on everything except the tires and battery cables. Great texture.
11-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with the previous posters, the light is fine and the shot is very good. Reminds me of North Dakota.
11-02-2017, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I agree with the previous posters, the light is fine and the shot is very good. Reminds me of North Dakota.
Good observation.

Saskatchewan's south border is split between North Dakota and Montana and the next door province , Manitoba's south border is split between North Dakota and Minnesota.

My wife and I were about 10 miles north of North Dakota today and I was remarking to her that in the Western Canada and mid west, western USA...the difference in topography,towns, farms, ranches of these two countries is not significant. In fact until you see the provincial/state road signs, national flags, predominant license plates in this region in this area, you would be hard pressed to know which state, province, country you're in.

11-02-2017, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all, for your kind words. The sun was just at the horizon as I arrived, but by the time I was set up, it had gone, and with it the spectacular revealing of texture. So I was a bit disappointed. I do intend to return some day.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
on gravel back roads looking for old machinery. Nothing, nada....
Well, Les, there's your problem--you gotta get off those graveled roads and follow the one's that are less well travelled--something like this:

Just watch out for mud -- you do not want to get stuck out there!
11-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Thanks all, for your kind words. The sun was just at the horizon as I arrived, but by the time I was set up, it had gone, and with it the spectacular revealing of texture. So I was a bit disappointed. I do intend to return some day.

Well, Les, there's your problem--you gotta get off those graveled roads and follow the one's that are less well travelled--something like this:

Just watch out for mud -- you do not want to get stuck out there!
You're right !! We've got two sedans....both very large, one a Buick 6 passenger. We also have those same dirt roads you pictured so well, but to be honest I don't attempt to go down them with our vehicles. Our son has a Nissan Frontier Pro4x pickup truck, with high and low transfer case, 4WD, all terrain tires, off road suspension (Bilstein shocks, skid plates, Dana axle) and locking axles. I have a feeling that would handle these roads better than our Buick land barge.
11-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You're right !! We've got two sedans....both very large, one a Buick 6 passenger. We also have those same dirt roads you pictured so well, but to be honest I don't attempt to go down them with our vehicles. Our son has a Nissan Frontier Pro4x pickup truck, with high and low transfer case, 4WD, all terrain tires, off road suspension (Bilstein shocks, skid plates, Dana axle) and locking axles. I have a feeling that would handle these roads better than our Buick land barge.
Nah Les, you could drive this road no problem, I remember riding with my Grandpa over oiled roads and tracks just like this in a 63 mercury comet. No problems! I need to take a road trip just so I can drive around the ancestral stomping grounds in North Dakota. And take lots of pictures of course.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 11-03-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
11-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Nah Les, you could drive this road no problem, I remember riding with my Grandpa over oiled roads and tracks just like this in a 63 mercury comet. No problems! I need to take a road trip just so I can drive around the ancestral stomping grounds in North Dakota. And take lots of pictures of course.
When you mentioned your Grandpa's '63 Mercury Comet it rook me back....many decades. A girlfriend back then had a early '60's Mercury Comet and I spent a lot of time in it.

I've gone down a few mud farm roads, but only when it's been a dry season and I creep along in a car...checking out ground clearance as I go. I think you're right about going down these lightly traveled back roads...as scrappers looking for metal and guys looking for vintage car projects don't usually access these roads. That's where the gems are I'm sure.

BTW, what part of North Dakota is your ancestral stomping grounds ?
11-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've gone down a few mud farm roads
There is nothing in my experience like wet Red River gumbo. Even a 4X4 can spin its way to be cemented in its tracks.
11-03-2017, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
There is nothing in my experience like wet Red River gumbo. Even a 4X4 can spin its way to be cemented in its tracks.
Quite true. I live about 5 miles from the Red River. About ten years ago I went fishing in the early summer, along the banks of the Red. I had my knee high rubber boots on and just stepped onto the gumbo. I immediately sank about 20 inches into it. Took me about 5 minutes just to pull my feet and boots out of the mud. When you sink in Red River gumbo, the vacuum is like nothing else, it doesn't want to release you.

In the states, this river is known as the Red River of the North to avoid confusion with the Red River of the South (Oklahoma/Texas) and the 'north' flows in a northerly direction through Minnesota, North Dakota and Manitoba to empty in the World's 11th largest lake, Lake Winnipeg.
11-03-2017, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

When you mentioned your Grandpa's '63 Mercury Comet it rook me back....many decades. A girlfriend back then had a early '60's Mercury Comet and I spent a lot of time in it.

I've gone down a few mud farm roads, but only when it's been a dry season and I creep along in a car...checking out ground clearance as I go. I think you're right about going down these lightly traveled back roads...as scrappers looking for metal and guys looking for vintage car projects don't usually access these roads. That's where the gems are I'm sure.

BTW, what part of North Dakota is your ancestral stomping grounds ?
Born in Bismark, lived as an infant in Grand Forks, and spent every summer growing up in Finley, ND. I think I was 2nd to 6th cousins to about 3/4 of the town. I loved running amok there though. Very different here in the central coastal area of Maine.
11-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Born in Bismark, lived as an infant in Grand Forks, and spent every summer growing up in Finley, ND. I think I was 2nd to 6th cousins to about 3/4 of the town. I loved running amok there though. Very different here in the central coastal area of Maine.
Been to both cities a lot. Grand Forks is close by...180 miles or so, I think. Bismarck further away, but about a day and a bit travel time. Bismarck has a great history with Fort Abraham Lincoln (Gen. Custer's last command), the Mandan Indian Village, etc. Spent my summers growing up in Lake Bronson, Minnesota.

Found out recently that my ancestors came over from England and settled in your region...Salem,Massachusetts.