Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Stormy sunrise, Badwater, Death Valley
Lens: Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm Camera: Leica S (Typ 007) ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: The Madshutter, 11-03-2017, 01:06 AM

A stormy sunrise in Badwater, taken during one of my Death Valley Workshops last January. With the Leica S (007), Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm and Formatt-Hitech FIrecrest Filters. Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LEICA S (Typ 007)  Photo 

Views: 1,723
11-03-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice photo! I had to check out firecrest filters. Interestingly, they only have 13 and 16 stop filters, and say that the 16 stop filters are most popular for long exposures. The guy who runs breakthrough photography argues that the most useful nd filter is a 6 stop filter...
11-03-2017, 04:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Nice photo! I had to check out firecrest filters. Interestingly, they only have 13 and 16 stop filters, and say that the 16 stop filters are most popular for long exposures. The guy who runs breakthrough photography argues that the most useful nd filter is a 6 stop filter...
Thank you very much Igor, I am glad you enjoyed the photo. About the Formatt-Hitech filters, they have them in every intensity, not just 13 and 16 stops: see here for the filters from 1 to 10 stops Formatt-Hitech Firecrest ND Filters. The main difference between FH and every other glass filters manufacturer is that the FH glass filters are bonded, not coated, meaning that the darkening coating is sandwiched between two thin layers of glass rather than applied over the glass like every other manufacturer does: bonding preserves the filters longer, preventing the scratching on the coating that quickly makes other glass filters less useful (if not totally unuseful). In my experience, I use 3, 6, 10 and 13 stops, and the most used are the 6 and 10 stoppers, followed by the 3 and the 13 last. Even though, for daytime long exposures, the 13 is fundamental, so it depends on what you shoot most. Perhaps you might be interested in my article on filters, with a scientific comparison on neutrality:

BEST FILTERS FOR LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY REVIEW

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
11-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #4

Cool shot. Spent three days in DVNP in March for the first time ever... what an incredible place.

11-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another standout image. I am always amazed at how much getting down low improves an image. Thanks also for the information on filters.
11-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BradM Quote
Cool shot. Spent three days in DVNP in March for the first time ever... what an incredible place.
Thank you Brad, glad you enjoyed it Yes, DV is one of my all-time favourites!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Another standout image. I am always amazed at how much getting down low improves an image. Thanks also for the information on filters.
Thank you very much Susan, glad you liked it! Yes, to me "zoom with your feet" is very good advice, but I teach "compose with your knees" which I find to be even better

Best regards,

Vieri
11-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You keep turning out these wonderful moody shots Vieri that are, really, inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

11-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
You keep turning out these wonderful moody shots Vieri that are, really, inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
Fries, thank you very much indeed for your kind message, I am glad you are enjoying my work! Best regards,

Vieri
07-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
A stormy sunrise in Badwater, taken during one of my Death Valley Workshops last January. With the Leica S (007), Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm and Formatt-Hitech FIrecrest Filters. Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri
Very brooding.
07-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Very brooding.
Indeed, it was a stormy day (not so common in DV), but it created great photo opportunities! Best regards,

Vieri
07-28-2018, 04:23 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Vieri
incredible shot! really well done!
07-28-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
incredible shot! really well done!
Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it, Death Valley is truly amazing and I can't wait to go back next winter! Best regards,

Vieri
07-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #13

Very nice depth to the shot. I love how the eye travel from the foreground to the dramtic clouds at the back.
07-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vieri
Oh, very nice. Wonderful color without being (IMHO) over the top.
07-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

masterpiece! well, i haven't seen here one from you which wasn't
i already ordered Hoya PRO ND 1000 49mm two weeks ago, getting it tomorrow hopefully, but will see to lay hands on some FH Firecrest in future!