Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Advice please would this work as a business card.
Posted By: Damn Brit, 08-25-2008, 10:47 PM

Would this image work as a business card. Business name would be in top left quadrant and contact details in bottom right corner. It's the shadow on the branch that bothers me a bit.
Thanks for your responses. I need the image pretty quick and it must be more than just a dragonfly shot, must have, I don't quite know how to put it, a dreamy quality as well.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-27-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Views: 3,935
08-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Igilligan

Howdy Gary

Well it will be an interesting business card.... In order to get the pic to business card diminsions I had to crop a tad off of the right side.

Attachment 17731

I think if you really want to use it... think about the shadow coming across the limb as a sweeping dark wave on which to print the most important words of the card..... either that or selectively darken more of the area under the shadow for more of a dark printing area... I would maybe darken that whole bottom right corner thru the shadow area

Dont know much about business cards or how hard it is to print text on multi-colored backgrounds. But I do know when I get a business card that is unusually cool, it gets saved every time... Good luck
08-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Thanks Gus, you've given me something to think about, what if
I took some off the left side instead?
08-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMO, if you want to make a business card for your photography services, you should keep things simple - No background text, a very elegant font; and maybe a contrasty colour.

08-26-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
IMO, if you want to make a business card for your photography services, you should keep things simple - No background text, a very elegant font; and maybe a contrasty colour.
Thanks, I value your opinion, I want a dragonfly image on the card and I wanted to use one of my pictures instead of just a stock image or design. Unfortunately I am low on dragonfly pictures.
08-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thanks, I value your opinion, I want a dragonfly image on the card and I wanted to use one of my pictures instead of just a stock image or design. Unfortunately I am low on dragonfly pictures.
A white card with an embossed dragonfly would look fantastic.
08-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HI GARY, do you have a business card template for photoshop, if not i'll send ya one

how about putting a a white/black eliptical circle filling outside the dragonfly?
just a suggestion

good luck

08-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #8

I like the idea. It might work without the emboss also if a more organic look is desired.

Gary I have done quite a few for customers. Usually with a busy backround the small letters does not show well.

Good luck.
08-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
white backround with embossed dragonfly.......awesome!!!!!
08-26-2008, 04:18 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
First up it doesn't kill the image for me but I can see why the shadow might worry you.

However, I think it's more the contrast of the highlighted part of the branch drawing attention that is the issue. One way to address this would be to mask off the darker parts of the branch and then darken the brighter parts (of the branch only) till it is uniformly in "shadow".

That would leave the dragonfly as the clear subject without anything drawing your attention away. The darker branch would blend into the background better and wouldn't compete with the text either.

In the end go with whatever you are happy with.
08-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
HI GARY, do you have a business card template for photoshop, if not i'll send ya one

how about putting a a white/black eliptical circle filling outside the dragonfly?
just a suggestion

good luck
Thanks Taff, PM'd you with my email.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
I like the idea. It might work without the emboss also if a more organic look is desired.

Gary I have done quite a few for customers. Usually with a busy backround the small letters does not show well.

Good luck.
Point taken.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
First up it doesn't kill the image for me but I can see why the shadow might worry you.

However, I think it's more the contrast of the highlighted part of the branch drawing attention that is the issue. One way to address this would be to mask off the darker parts of the branch and then darken the brighter parts (of the branch only) till it is uniformly in "shadow".

That would leave the dragonfly as the clear subject without anything drawing your attention away. The darker branch would blend into the background better and wouldn't compete with the text either.

In the end go with whatever you are happy with.
Thanks
08-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
JMR
Veteran Member

Hey Damn Brit, why not try the "neon glow" in Elements 6 (what I use) and minimize that hard shadow. Here is example. I reproduced in brown to go with original colour, but it looks good in green, the colour of the foliage.

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 08-30-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: removed image to make room for other photos
08-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Gary, you are a freakin' genius! I've been thinking about business card designs and never even considered using one of my own pics. Duh!

BTW, I like Gus' crop.....it gives you an idea of how the card would actually look.
08-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Hey Damn Brit, why not try the "neon glow" in Elements 6 (what I use) and minimize that hard shadow. Here is example. I reproduced in brown to go with original colour, but it looks good in green, the colour of the foliage.

JMR
You're a star. Thank you, I think you've come at the problem from a different angle and scored.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Gary, you are a freakin' genius! I've been thinking about business card designs and never even considered using one of my own pics. Duh!

BTW, I like Gus' crop.....it gives you an idea of how the card would actually look.
08-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Now here's question two. Bearing in mind that I want a dragonfly on the card, I thought of this as a business name, what do you guys think?;
Dragonfly Imagine
A play on imaging, that's why I wanted a dreamy look.