Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Sky Harbor at Night
Lens: FA 31/f1.8 Limited Camera: K1 Photo Location: Phoenix, AZ ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: interested_observer, 11-05-2017, 03:47 PM

I was able to get out last evening to go do some shooting. I went down to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. The takeoffs were in the wrong direction, so I couldn't shoot what I had originally intended, so I looked around for some other opportunities. On top of the parking structure at terminal 4, the view to the south (Southwest Airlines) was just plain uninteresting - obscured by the part of the roof for the new Sky Train (people mover) that they are building. However, to the north (American Airlines - use to be American Worst West), the view was much better.

I took a series of 30 second shots to be stacked together. To get a 30 second exposure, I needed to go with ISO 100 while stopping down a lot to f22 to shoot long. I found that I left my 20mm lens on the desk at home, so the 31 was a bit narrower, but did fine. If I had the presence of mind to bring the 20mm lens, I would have been able to capture a bit more action of a couple of additional planes pushing back and turning around.

This is a blending/compositing of 15 shots, stacked using Photo Engine - with ghosting (so as to let the light streaks stack together). Then straightened up - well just because I could not get the camera level with the runway lines.

Attached Images

Views: 429
11-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A very nice photo. Thanks for sharing it and the story of how it came to be.
11-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photo.
That looks like Camelback mountain in the upper right.

Clarence
07-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was able to get out last evening to go do some shooting. I went down to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. The takeoffs were in the wrong direction, so I couldn't shoot what I had originally intended, so I looked around for some other opportunities. On top of the parking structure at terminal 4, the view to the south (Southwest Airlines) was just plain uninteresting - obscured by the part of the roof for the new Sky Train (people mover) that they are building. However, to the north (American Airlines - use to be American Worst West), the view was much better.

I took a series of 30 second shots to be stacked together. To get a 30 second exposure, I needed to go with ISO 100 while stopping down a lot to f22 to shoot long. I found that I left my 20mm lens on the desk at home, so the 31 was a bit narrower, but did fine. If I had the presence of mind to bring the 20mm lens, I would have been able to capture a bit more action of a couple of additional planes pushing back and turning around.

This is a blending/compositing of 15 shots, stacked using Photo Engine - with ghosting (so as to let the light streaks stack together). Then straightened up - well just because I could not get the camera level with the runway lines.

Very interesting!