Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Sky Harbor at Night
Lens: FA 31/f1.8 Limited Camera: K1 Photo Location: Phoenix, AZ ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: interested_observer, 11-05-2017, 03:47 PM

I was able to get out last evening to go do some shooting. I went down to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. The takeoffs were in the wrong direction, so I couldn't shoot what I had originally intended, so I looked around for some other opportunities. On top of the parking structure at terminal 4, the view to the south (Southwest Airlines) was just plain uninteresting - obscured by the part of the roof for the new Sky Train (people mover) that they are building. However, to the north (American Airlines - use to be American Worst West), the view was much better.

I took a series of 30 second shots to be stacked together. To get a 30 second exposure, I needed to go with ISO 100 while stopping down a lot to f22 to shoot long. I found that I left my 20mm lens on the desk at home, so the 31 was a bit narrower, but did fine. If I had the presence of mind to bring the 20mm lens, I would have been able to capture a bit more action of a couple of additional planes pushing back and turning around.

This is a blending/compositing of 15 shots, stacked using Photo Engine - with ghosting (so as to let the light streaks stack together). Then straightened up - well just because I could not get the camera level with the runway lines.



Attached Images
 

Views: 931
11-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian
AlexBW's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Telemark
Photos: Albums
Posts: 371
A very nice photo. Thanks for sharing it and the story of how it came to be.
11-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
c.perkins's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Lisbon, WI.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 515
Nice photo.
That looks like Camelback mountain in the upper right.

Clarence
07-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,163
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was able to get out last evening to go do some shooting. I went down to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. The takeoffs were in the wrong direction, so I couldn't shoot what I had originally intended, so I looked around for some other opportunities. On top of the parking structure at terminal 4, the view to the south (Southwest Airlines) was just plain uninteresting - obscured by the part of the roof for the new Sky Train (people mover) that they are building. However, to the north (American Airlines - use to be American Worst West), the view was much better.

I took a series of 30 second shots to be stacked together. To get a 30 second exposure, I needed to go with ISO 100 while stopping down a lot to f22 to shoot long. I found that I left my 20mm lens on the desk at home, so the 31 was a bit narrower, but did fine. If I had the presence of mind to bring the 20mm lens, I would have been able to capture a bit more action of a couple of additional planes pushing back and turning around.

This is a blending/compositing of 15 shots, stacked using Photo Engine - with ghosting (so as to let the light streaks stack together). Then straightened up - well just because I could not get the camera level with the runway lines.

Very interesting!

10-01-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
SwedishTim's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 136
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was able to get out last evening to go do some shooting. I went down to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. The takeoffs were in the wrong direction, so I couldn't shoot what I had originally intended, so I looked around for some other opportunities. On top of the parking structure at terminal 4, the view to the south (Southwest Airlines) was just plain uninteresting - obscured by the part of the roof for the new Sky Train (people mover) that they are building. However, to the north (American Airlines - use to be American Worst West), the view was much better.

I took a series of 30 second shots to be stacked together. To get a 30 second exposure, I needed to go with ISO 100 while stopping down a lot to f22 to shoot long. I found that I left my 20mm lens on the desk at home, so the 31 was a bit narrower, but did fine. If I had the presence of mind to bring the 20mm lens, I would have been able to capture a bit more action of a couple of additional planes pushing back and turning around.

This is a blending/compositing of 15 shots, stacked using Photo Engine - with ghosting (so as to let the light streaks stack together). Then straightened up - well just because I could not get the camera level with the runway lines.

Fantastic photo!
10-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 52,276
Your lucky to have such a high viewpoint so relatively close by, a great shot, well captured.
10-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian
ignath's Avatar

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Riga
Posts: 1,508
delightful photo! very well executed and processed.
12-07-2019, 03:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 363
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was able to get out last evening to go do some shooting. I went down to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. The takeoffs were in the wrong direction, so I couldn't shoot what I had originally intended, so I looked around for some other opportunities. On top of the parking structure at terminal 4, the view to the south (Southwest Airlines) was just plain uninteresting - obscured by the part of the roof for the new Sky Train (people mover) that they are building. However, to the north (American Airlines - use to be American Worst West), the view was much better.

I took a series of 30 second shots to be stacked together. To get a 30 second exposure, I needed to go with ISO 100 while stopping down a lot to f22 to shoot long. I found that I left my 20mm lens on the desk at home, so the 31 was a bit narrower, but did fine. If I had the presence of mind to bring the 20mm lens, I would have been able to capture a bit more action of a couple of additional planes pushing back and turning around.

This is a blending/compositing of 15 shots, stacked using Photo Engine - with ghosting (so as to let the light streaks stack together). Then straightened up - well just because I could not get the camera level with the runway lines.

A lot of little things to watch on this photography, great !

12-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,430
Excellent capture and very informative on how you did it. Thanks for sharing!
12-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,971
Something I just noticed, that I missed when you originally posted this picture, is how dramatic the clouds look from being illuminated by urban lights. All the effort you put into this image turned out splendidly.
12-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,578
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
A very nice photo. Thanks for sharing it and the story of how it came to be.
QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Nice photo.
That looks like Camelback mountain in the upper right.

Clarence
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Very interesting!
QuoteOriginally posted by SwedishTim Quote
Fantastic photo!
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Your lucky to have such a high viewpoint so relatively close by, a great shot, well captured.
QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
delightful photo! very well executed and processed.
QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
A lot of little things to watch on this photography, great !
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent capture and very informative on how you did it. Thanks for sharing!
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Something I just noticed, that I missed when you originally posted this picture, is how dramatic the clouds look from being illuminated by urban lights. All the effort you put into this image turned out splendidly.
Evening everyone - This shot is 2 years old now and I find it very gratifying that it's still getting likes. I was bored that evening - just like I am this evening, it's raining out, and I just wanted to go out and shoot something. Just like the last couple weeks of evenings and I still have not gotten myself up and out of the house to go do some photography.

I actually should have shot for a longer time and captured better light trails. I should probably go do it again. At the time of this image above, I wanted to get the planes landing as they fly overhead taking off capturing their light trails. I guess I should go give that an evening of shooting.

Several weeks I did go with a friend up to Sedona in the evening and we shot the traffic coming up and down Oak Creek Canyon from the viewpoint. I guess I should post that - it may be interesting. I did it as a time lapse.

Anyway, thank you very much for the interest.

12-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #12
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Gorgarath's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
One nice thing with the contests running, people go and comment on some of these older pictures which brings them up to the top letting people like myself see them as I generally don't go digging too far back. But I'm glad some people do because this picture is pretty sweet. If not for your post saying about the photo being old, I'd probably not have noticed the date of the original post. This one is definitely holding its own against time. Really awesome job on this one.
12-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 363
QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
One nice thing with the contests running, people go and comment on some of these older pictures which brings them up to the top letting people like myself see them as I generally don't go digging too far back. But I'm glad some people do because this picture is pretty sweet. If not for your post saying about the photo being old, I'd probably not have noticed the date of the original post. This one is definitely holding its own against time. Really awesome job on this one.
Just to tell that there is a Photo Gallery view, with random photographies, and that it is a good idea !
12-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #14
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Gorgarath's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
Just to tell that there is a Photo Gallery view, with random photographies, and that it is a good idea !
I was not aware of this. I'll have to check it out.

(I can be a bit dense at times. I just took note of the Lounge today, though I'm pretty sure I've probably had access to it for several years now... )
12-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Archimedes the Dog's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 1,131
Nice work, love the result.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
20mm, airlines, american, bit, camera, harbor, lens, photo, shots, sky, sky harbor, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
worth tracking down a Sigma 8-16 or 10-20 for wide perspective sky/night sky? Conqueror Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 12-27-2016 09:16 AM
Sky Harbor Stop Action Time Lapse interested_observer Photographic Technique 3 04-16-2016 09:12 AM
Night Victoria Harbor Hong Kong by Night Dasher Post Your Photos! 11 09-15-2014 04:41 PM
A special visitor at Florence Harbor on a damp, foggy night... Volvo244T Post Your Photos! 6 06-15-2009 01:14 AM
Another night harbor photo little laker Post Your Photos! 2 06-06-2007 06:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top