Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Red Wattle Bird
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K30 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Cee Cee, 11-05-2017, 05:00 PM

The Red Wattle Bird, so called due to the "red wattles" hanging on each side of its cheeks. ( Wattle is a type of Australian native yellow flowering plant ) There are also Yellow wattle birds

Last edited by Cee Cee; 11-05-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Views: 977
11-05-2017, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I lived in Western Australia, I cursed the local Wattle Birds in mating season. They were very noisy, and would start up at about 4 am !
Here in Tasmania, they are much quieter, and don't get vocal until about 9 am - - much more civilised !
11-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
The Red Wattle Bird, so called due to the "red wattles" hanging on each side of its cheeks. ( Wattle is a type of Australian native yellow flowering plant ) There are also Yellow wattle birds
Nice shot!

Yeah, they love the shrubs in our courtyard. Squawky things but I prefer them to the miners that also hang around.
11-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well shot.........plenty of detail in the image.

11-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"This here's the Wattle, emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle or hold it in your hand. Amen."

Seriously though, I must get to Australia some time to add all those parrots, Meliphagidae (honeyeaters, wattle birds, friarbirds, etc.), fairy-wrens, ratites (emus, cassowaries), lyrebirds, brush-turkeys and other peculiar birds. Regarding wattles, plenty of birds outside Australia have them, e.g., turkey, guinea fowl, etc.
11-06-2017, 04:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
When I lived in Western Australia, I cursed the local Wattle Birds in mating season. They were very noisy, and would start up at about 4 am !
Here in Tasmania, they are much quieter, and don't get vocal until about 9 am - - much more civilised !
an Iconic sound of the bush, I like they're sound, but then they're not waking me at 4 in the morning

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice shot!

Yeah, they love the shrubs in our courtyard. Squawky things but I prefer them to the miners that also hang around.
thanks for the comments clackers, agreed on the miners, .

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well shot.........plenty of detail in the image.
Cheers EM, thanks for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
"This here's the Wattle, emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle or hold it in your hand. Amen."

Seriously though, I must get to Australia some time to add all those parrots, Meliphagidae (honeyeaters, wattle birds, friarbirds, etc.), fairy-wrens, ratites (emus, cassowaries), lyrebirds, brush-turkeys and other peculiar birds. Regarding wattles, plenty of birds outside Australia have them, e.g., turkey, guinea fowl, etc.
thank you for the comments pete-tarmigam, I must admit there's plenty on your list which is greatly under represented in my collection, I should get out more & try harder, cheers
12-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Very nice detail and bokeh! Love the parallel lines

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2017, 05:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Very nice detail and bokeh! Love the parallel lines
thank you for the comments Adam, appreciated, cheers
12-11-2017, 06:01 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another bird I'll never get to photograph. Wonderful shot! TFS
12-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Another bird I'll never get to photograph. Wonderful shot! TFS
so many birds .. so little time , cheers & thanks for the comments.