Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  
Popular Portraits on Flickr Part 1 (Horizontals)
Posted By: LeRolls, 11-07-2017, 07:15 AM

Figured I might post some of the more popular shots I have on Flickr. The ones that have received more than 100 likes. For this first set I think I will just do some of the horizontals.

Feedback is always appreciated.
Views: 3,205
11-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

You are really forcing a thread close for this argument? I would like the opportunity to let the photographer know that these photographs are fantastic and an inspiration. I have looked at them several times and appreciate the detail, backdrops, lighting and capture of expression. Thank you for posting.

11-24-2017, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
They're well made cheescake or maybe glamour photographs. Hand any of them a large pipe wrench and you've a classic Rigid Tool calendar by Peter Gowland. Nothing wrong with that, learned lots from Gowland's work. He learned classic 3 light portrait lighting in Hollywood. But compare that with work by Yosef Karsh or Philippe Halsmann. Improbable clothing in the context of the setting tends to mask the real character of the subject. Showing the true nature of someone and how they looked is something Halsmann believed and I believe is essential for a successful portrait. Yes, they're well made photographs of attractive young women and given the preponderance of males on this forum, obviously well received. But I'm not sure a Mom or Dad would want that to be the photograph of their child, the one that personifies her. I've had Moms and Dads buy photographs made of their dancers on stage in fantastic costume but the portrait they buy to hang in a prominent place in their home is as true to their daughters nature as I can make it. Invariably, they are simple and without the distraction of fad or current fashion.
I disagree, there is background colors tied to subject in almost all of the photos. The eye color can, in many circumstances be coordinated with the clothing or background. The background choice in the first photo is bold. Perhaps you should lurk in the critique area with your critiques. "preponderance of males"? Interesting choice of words. I am fascinated with your response. Your critique borders on insult and implies, with your choice of words, that your ego is bruised.
11-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow...never thought this thread would get this kind of response. Don't even know where to begin.

First off I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words. I truly do appreciate the compliments and take zero offence at someone calling my working "cheesecake photography" and I also like the work of Gowland. I try my best to make my images as visually interesting and layered (composition, colors, tones, textures, backgrounds, leading lines etc.) as I possibly can given the resources and time constraints I have to work with but I am under no delusion that my images convey any type of deeper meaning or truth into the human condition. Even though I take photography pretty serious as a whole I would say that for the most part the models and I are just playing and having fun while we create imagery that we hope is eye-catching. If some people find the work inspiring that's great and I am very glad for it. If others don't think there is enough "substance" there that's OK too. I think every photographer has a different set of priorities and I personally was never drawn to the work of photo journalists.

I also rarely shoot specifically for the parents of the models. The client tends to be the model herself although the mother's often do tag along on the shoots and it always surprises me when they turn out to be fans of my work. Also even though I do agree that the members of this forum and most camera clubs are probably predominately men I'd have to say that a large majority of my followers on social media (aka client base) are actually young women. So it pleases me that my work appeals to both sexes as well as multiple age groups.

Last edited by LeRolls; 11-25-2017 at 12:06 AM.
11-25-2017, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canis Quote
You are really forcing a thread close for this argument? I would like the opportunity to let the photographer know that these photographs are fantastic and an inspiration. I have looked at them several times and appreciate the detail, backdrops, lighting and capture of expression. Thank you for posting.
Thank you for the kind words Canis. I appreciate them greatly and I will continue to share my work on this fine forum.