Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First try at ice hockey
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K-1 
Posted By: KiloHotelphoto, 11-07-2017, 11:38 AM

I went out last night to try shooting ice hockey for the first time. I really don't have the right lenses for it but wanted to see what I could do with what I got. I took my K1 with the DA*300 F4 and my Canon 5dsr with a 85mm F1.8. Because of the angles I had to shoot from I used the Canon more, I posted those shots in the Canon photos section here.

The 70-200 2.8 does seem like the lens I will need if I decide to shoot more hockey, but with the limited shooting spots I'm not sure I should pursue it. The closet rink to me has four rinks but only one has good spots for photography, I had to shoot through the glass on the other three rinks and if you are familiar with hockey rinks you know how scuffed up the glass is from pucks so I'm sure the image quality isn't as good.

If I do end up shooting more ice hockey and buy a 70-200 2.8 I'm not sure what mount to get it in. The auto focus on the Canon last night was better, but the K1 high ISO performance is better and the lighting in the rinks suck.

Last night was just a quick test I will try again before I decide to buy, I didn't experiment with shutter speeds as much as I should've. I shot the Pentax at F4 and the Canon at 1.8 then at 2.8. I was getting ISO from 3200 to 5000 with the Canon and 6400 to 10,000 with the Pentax and I was surprised at how well they turned out, the K1 does a great job in that department.

If anyone has experience at shooting ice hockey and has recommendations let me know what you think. I will not get a chance until next week to try again.

---------- Post added 11-07-17 at 01:55 PM ----------

Link to the Canon shots from last night for comparison.

Post your Canon shots! - Page 18 - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo