Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Potential Energy
Lens: Sigma 28-300mm Hyper Zoom Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Idaho ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Dewman, 11-11-2017, 04:31 AM

This was taken at a large railroad staging and switching area in my home town. It's one of the larger facilities in the Pacific Northwest for most of the freight going east and west. I'm amazed that they would let the tracks deteriorate like this! So very crooked and un-level.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 775
11-12-2017, 01:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
This was taken at a large railroad staging and switching area in my home town. It's one of the larger facilities in the Pacific Northwest for most of the freight going east and west. I'm amazed that they would let the tracks deteriorate like this! So very crooked and un-level.
Wow- looks like they never end!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The state of the track doesn’t inspire confidence in the safety of that company. Good shot, impressive line up.
11-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like the pot hole equivalent on the roads...let it go until someone complains...a nice shot and some social commentary Dewman.

11-13-2017, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wow- looks like they never end!

I think I counted 28 locomotives in the image and they continued on out of the scene! The largest accumulation of them I'd ever seen.
11-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Never seen so many locomotives at once, in a row. Locomotives, particularly those (ones I'm familiar with) used in Canada and the States pull incredible loads. I know sometimes when I'm sitting at a railway crossing on the prairies / plains...I make a futile attempt to count the number of freight/oil tanker cars. I never seem to get an accurate number, I lose count somewhere between 100 to 150 or greater. A lot of times they are using just a couple of locomotives at the front, with sometimes a middle 'pusher' or a pusher locomotive at the end of the line.
11-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit hard to tell from the perspective, but they look like the locos they use to drive the iron ore trains here in the Pilbara in WA. The standard " East Pilbara Consist" , so named becuase it is tailored so it can be routed to any of the East Pilbara mines, consists of three locos and 234 trucks. Each truck carries an average of 115 tonnes, can be more, depending on product grade, nothing over 123 tonnes max, from memory. So each train is carrying at least 27,000 tonnes of iron ore. There are some gradients involved in places, so the loaded trains will have a fourth loco, known as a bunker, assisting on the steeper grades. The near 15,000hp of the three lead locos vibrates right through you when they are working hard.

11-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A) Good photo
B) I wonder what they are going to haul ?
11-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Potential Energy
Wow, the whole Scottish rail system doesn't even own that many locos.
07-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
cool repeating patterns! really well done!
07-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

This photo was taken at some distance with telephoto lens; that has the effect of greatly exaggerating track issues; no, it is not perfect, but this is a yard area, where transit is slow, and apparently it meets their needs.