Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
16 Likes  
Jewels - Nebulas in Orion Constellation with Pentax-M 200/F4 from 1982
Posted By: Pete_XL, 11-12-2017, 09:35 AM



Orion, Running Man, Horsehead & Flame Nebulas in the Orion Constelllation (M42, M43, IC 434, NGC 2024).
21 x 180 s ISO 400, unmodified Pentax K3ii, Pentax-M 200 mm (from 1982) @ F5.6
Processed with DSS and PS 2018CC
Views: 2,287
10-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,188
Fabulous image as always, Pete. I wish I had the patience to create a 21 image stack!

10-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Grippy's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 816
Fantastic image.
10-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,056
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote

Orion, Running Man, Horsehead & Flame Nebulas in the Orion Constelllation (M42, M43, IC 434, NGC 2024).
21 x 180 s ISO 400, unmodified Pentax K3ii, Pentax-M 200 mm (from 1982) @ F5.6
Processed with DSS and PS 2018CC
Wow! Really nice!
11-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 214
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote

Orion, Running Man, Horsehead & Flame Nebulas in the Orion Constelllation (M42, M43, IC 434, NGC 2024).
21 x 180 s ISO 400, unmodified Pentax K3ii, Pentax-M 200 mm (from 1982) @ F5.6
Processed with DSS and PS 2018CC
Very nice, thank you for sharing!

12-04-2019, 12:38 AM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 111
Stunning! Thanks for sharing!
01-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,652
@Pete_XL
After referring people to this thread when as subject of using the old 200/4 lenses with astrophotography comes up somewhat frequently I am now curious what this would look like if you reprocessed it now.
01-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
@Pete_XL
After referring people to this thread when as subject of using the old 200/4 lenses with astrophotography comes up somewhat frequently I am now curious what this would look like if you reprocessed it now.
Hi Andrew, if you say it would be of interest for others I could search for the old data and give it another try. It really might be that APP plus starnet++ and two years more of spent living time in front of the computer might give better results....
01-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MossyRocks's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,652
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
Hi Andrew, if you say it would be of interest for others I could search for the old data and give it another try. It really might be that APP plus starnet++ and two years more of spent living time in front of the computer might give better results....
I was wondering mostly because the background is black and rather flat and having seen how much you have been able to pull out recently even from old data I thought this might be a good candidate. I've been surprised with what I've managed with astrotracer, a monster of a 400mm lens, and a light pollution filter, in that same area of the sky, and from my horribly light polluted backyard yet getting some of the dark nebulae detail. So given all that I would think that you now could pull a fair amount of data out of the dark even if it is a nosier image.

01-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I was wondering mostly because the background is black and rather flat and having seen how much you have been able to pull out recently even from old data I thought this might be a good candidate. I've been surprised with what I've managed with astrotracer, a monster of a 400mm lens, and a light pollution filter, in that same area of the sky, and from my horribly light polluted backyard yet getting some of the dark nebulae detail. So given all that I would think that you now could pull a fair amount of data out of the dark even if it is a nosier image.
I'll have a go at it if I still have the data....

Cheers
Pete
02-02-2020, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
So I did my best to reprocess the old data with new sotware and more "experience". The stars are more and the field is deeper. But I am not sure if the DSOs are really better now.

03-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #26
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
So I did my best to reprocess the old data with new sotware and more "experience". The stars are more and the field is deeper. But I am not sure if the DSOs are really better now.

Wow Pete!
That is quite a different processing. A lot more blues in the nebulosity.
And a lot less saturation in the reds.
The stars are better too, a bit fainter stars become visible, the colors show better and the brighter stars are deeply blue now.

How did you evaluate the differences?

Kind regards Jetze
03-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J Posthuma Quote
Wow Pete!
That is quite a different processing. A lot more blues in the nebulosity.
And a lot less saturation in the reds.
The stars are better too, a bit fainter stars become visible, the colors show better and the brighter stars are deeply blue now.

How did you evaluate the differences?

Kind regards Jetze
Hi Jetze,
The differences are a new better workflow and a higher position on the never ending learning curve. In the past my skills in holding the noise down without affecting the faint Signal and detail too much were not so good. I learned a bit in the past two years.

Glad you like it!

All the best
Pete
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, constellation, jewels nebulas, nebulas in orion, orion, orion constellation, pentax-m, pentax-m 200/f4, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night Orion's Sword and the Orion Nebula bobtheicicle Post Your Photos! 4 12-08-2016 09:23 AM
Machinery USS Constellation interested_observer Post Your Photos! 6 07-11-2013 09:11 PM
Night Flying through the Orion constellation. charliezap Post Your Photos! 7 01-31-2012 02:56 PM
Machinery Once the pride of the fleet: L1049 Super Constellation ismaelg Post Your Photos! 11 06-19-2011 08:49 PM
The world's most popular SLRs. Pentax (1982) Nesster Pentax Film SLR Discussion 24 07-30-2009 06:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top