Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
For WW2 history buffs
Posted By: tranq78, 11-12-2017, 08:46 PM

If you are into WW2 history or history in general, this is a fascinating piece. This is an actual battle rifle from the Second World War.

This is the main rifle used by the Whermacht in WW2, called a Karibiner 98 kurz, or K98. This one was built in 1943 according to the markings. I snapped a pic with my cell phone when it was being taken out to the range. Up close the metal parts look, well, like they've been through a war.

This example was used and carried by a German soldier and captured by the Red Army on the Eastern Front, probably in 1945. It was then stored in a Russian army arsenal until it was released as a surplus, then eventually sold in Canada. So the last time it was out in the open was about 70 years ago.

One wonders at the stories it could tell if it could talk!

Since this is Remembrance Day weekend, I will mention my grandfather fought in Asia in WWII for the Allies. I had another uncle who served. My spouse's uncle fought for Canada in Europe. My grandfather and uncle died before I was born so I never got to know them. Thank you to all who served and are serving!

This is Canada and there are strict firearms laws so we won't get who owns this or other details. Everything is legit, though.

Last edited by tranq78; 11-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Views: 1,114
11-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very interesting, Tranq, as are the standard rifles of all those nations in the conflict.

Each German squad was built around a medium machine gun, and the chief job of the other nine guys was to carry ammo for the gunner.

Attacking a German platoon meant taking on four machine guns, with supporting riflemen using this thing.
11-13-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting history and the rifle looks to be in fine condition. I still have my father's WWII compass (and his medals) and I know a few of the stories there. Last Friday I recorded material for a radio program on his experiences from January 1942 to January 1943 in New Guinea (based around interviews I recorded with him many years ago). It's hard to believe it was only 75 years ago.
11-13-2017, 04:06 AM   #4

German WW2 Infantry Squad Tactics

11-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Interesting videos. So from what I read/see on the internet, early in WWII a standard Red Army infantry tactic was the frontal assault, especially when they were encircled and had to break out. Masses of men would charge straight into machine gun fire. Small wonder casualties on the Eastern Front were so massive. Apparently the average life expectancy of a Red Army private in Stalingrad was only 24 hours.
06-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
If you are into WW2 history or history in general, this is a fascinating piece. This is an actual battle rifle from the Second World War.

This is the main rifle used by the Whermacht in WW2, called a Karibiner 98 kurz, or K98. This one was built in 1943 according to the markings. I snapped a pic with my cell phone when it was being taken out to the range. Up close the metal parts look, well, like they've been through a war.

This example was used and carried by a German soldier and captured by the Red Army on the Eastern Front, probably in 1945. It was then stored in a Russian army arsenal until it was released as a surplus, then eventually sold in Canada. So the last time it was out in the open was about 70 years ago.

One wonders at the stories it could tell if it could talk!

Since this is Remembrance Day weekend, I will mention my grandfather fought in Asia in WWII for the Allies. I had another uncle who served. My spouse's uncle fought for Canada in Europe. My grandfather and uncle died before I was born so I never got to know them. Thank you to all who served and are serving!

This is Canada and there are strict firearms laws so we won't get who owns this or other details. Everything is legit, though.

Nice gun! Cool 'shot'!